Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talking To Chris Roberson And Mike Allred About The End Of iZombie

Administrator

Default Talking To Chris Roberson And Mike Allred About The End Of iZombie

Jeffrey Whitelaw talked to Chris Roberson at ECCC for Bleeding Cool;

Saturday at the ECCC Vertigo: New Blood panel, in a story that is familiar to Vertigo readers, it was announced that IZombie is ending. Bleeding Cool has a reputation for announcing the cancellation of Vertigo titles at comic conventions but I was curious about the decision, so on Sunday I decided to track down the creators of the book, Chris Roberson and Mike Allred, to see if I could get any insight.

After searching for a couple hours, I finally tracked Roberson down after a panel.

JW: Why is IZombie ending?

CR: Because Vertigo canceled it.

JW: Is it sales, or..

CR: Yeah, yeah... I mean, any creator owned book at a big house like that, it?s a question of when not if it?s going to be canceled. So, luckily, I?d seen the writing on the wall so I was able to plan out far enough in advance.

JW: How far out did you plan?

CR: I?d been waiting for the shoe to drop for at least a year. The thing was, I knew it was coming, so about a year ago I started structuring the story so that we could wrap up the story we wanted to tell. I didn?t know how many we would have, I was guessing we would get to thirty, maybe, and we got it to twenty-eight, so we could make it work.

JW: Is there anything else you want to say about that?

CR: It?s been great working with Allred, I have nothing but good things to say about Shelly Bond, and Greg Lockard, and Karen Berger.

JW: Any chance you?ll work with Allred in the future?

CR: Yeah, maybe.

JW: Great, thank you so much

After concluding with Roberson, I headed to Allred?s booth. After a short wait in line, he was nice enough to talk to me.

JW: Can you tell me why the book is ending?

MA: Oh, yeah, it?s the conclusion of the story.

Roberson probably would have stretched it out more, but what we talked about was the pacing, and we felt, we, me, Chris, and Shelly, our editor, wanted it to be crisper. Let?s get to it, let?s make it happen.

JW: Do you have anything else to add?

MA: Yeah, I?m really proud of it, and I?m really glad to see it all collected together, and I think it?s a phenomenal story, and I hope we can do something else together .

JW: Awesome. Thank you.

So there you have it. I think the reasoning behind the book?s ending came down to a combination of the two factors mentioned above. The creators had an end in mind, sales were low, and so they decided to pursue it. I?m sad to see it go, but 28 is a really, really good number for a Vertigo series. We can only hope that the two creators work together again in the future.

I loved this book when it started and have stuck with it despite the fact that it has been moving horrifically slowly of late, more out of loyalty than anything. I'm not surprised that sales dropped, though - Roberson is great on limited series but I don't think he's that good with pacing on ongoings.

Dean of Cool University

Yeah, the pacing has fallen off lately, but it's still been a great book and I'm glad we've had it. Hope they tell more stories together in future.

this does suck. not surprised by it though with how Vertigo has so many series that have short-life spans. The pacing did slow done during the past 6 or so issues. I think so of that had to be with trying to do the back-up stories of the Dead Presidents.
    and I do wish it could have last longer to at least get a Dead Presidents mini.

oh well....

I guess that means the return of Madman!

Dean of Cool University Acrid_Gunsmoke's Avatar

iZombie was a lot fun. I'll miss it.

i am one of those you can blame for the dropping sales. I quit buying it 8 months ago.

at the start i loved it but i kind of became a bit stale for my tastes and just drifted away. Sad thing is that i didn't miss it one bit after dropping it. well ....
    CHELSEA ABOVE ALL !!!!

Stamford Bridge SW6

Exceedingly Cool

"not surprised by it though with how Vertigo has so many series that have short-life spans."

Short life spans? Two years?
    All in all, and someone can go all math nerd and figure it all out exactly (I don't have the numbers with me at work), I think Vertigo is batting .500 on which series last 60+ issues and which ones "only" last 24. And of the long running series, I think 1/4 of those are perennial sellers as collected editions.

That's not too horrible (and by that, I mean pretty good).

I will miss iZombie. It was a fun "pop-horror" title.
    Unfortunately, I think the writing was on the wall for Chris when he didn't get a gig with the DC new 52.

Dean of Cool University

Of the long running series, I would say the majority are perennial sellers. It's the 24 or fewer issue ones that are hit or miss.

I hope Allred ends up on a new monthly soon, then.

Gonna miss Gwen.

Banned

DAMN DC/VERTIGO. I LOVED I, ZOMBIE. It was one of my favorites. Better than any of the new garbage Vertigo series they've just released. New Deadwardians = CRAP. Saucer Country TOTAL CRAP. Fairest is as boring as all the other Willingham comics (which is to say very boring). And the Voodoo Child series which will be allowed to exist for more issues than it should because of certain political reasons outside of the comic series itself.

I think I'll drop Hellblazer just to punish VERTIGO for this outrageous cancellation. Well done, Shelly and Karen...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast