Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree511Likes

Thread: Orson Scott Card, Superman And Here We Go Again

Administrator

Default Orson Scott Card, Superman And Here We Go Again

I've already received e-mails about this. Encouraging me to go nuclear on DC Comics' for hiring Orson Scott Card to write a story for the new Adventures of Superman digital comic, as reported by IGN.

The first two chapters are by Orson Scott Card, Aaron Johnston, Chris Sprouse and Karl Story, the third by Jeff Parker and Chris Samnee; teling of Superman's first meeting with Lex Luthor. Future chapters include work by Dan Abnett. Ed Benes, Mitch Breitweise, Giuseppe Camuncol, Nathan Edmondso, Joshua Hale Fialkov, Christos N. Gage, Marc Guggenheim, Justin Jordan, Matt Kindt, JT Krul , Max Landis, Andy Lanning, David Lapham, Jeff Lemire, Michael Avon Oeming, Riley Rossmo, Stephen Segovia, Bruce Timm, Marcus To and Marv Wolfman.

But Orson Scott Card is on the board of directors for National Organization for Marriage, an association committed to stopping the legalisation of gay marraige. And as a result of this, and a number of unpleasant statements he's made regarding the issue of homosexuality, has been the subject of a number of boycotts. And it looks as if one is brewing for this Superman story.

I've been approached by those who wish me to promote a new boycott, with the aim of getting DC Comics to fire Card off the book and for his story to be dropped.

I think that's wrong.

There are a number of comic book creators who believe something very different to what I do. Some of those beliefs offend me. Sometimes they even inform their art, something that Card is unlikely to be accused of in Superman.

Some try to draw a line between an opinionated person and an activist. I disagree, any famous person who expresses an opinion, especially in this day and age, de facto becomes an activist for that opinion.

It's a very dangerous game, it has led in the past to witchtrials, McCarthyite or otherwise, and it's no better than the actions of, say, One Million Moms. And next time? It could be you...

VP in Charge of Cool superfriend's Avatar

the non-Jim Lee Superman drawn by Chris Samnee?

awe-effing-some.

The concern expressed in this article seems at odds with your coverage of the hotel chain in the US linked to SDCc and its apparent support for whichever proposition it was that was intended to prevent gay marriage in California.

It's also important to distinguish between actively campaigning for the silencing of someone whose views differ from your own, and choosing not to support work by that person. I read Ender's Game years ago, before finding out tha Card is not just a bigot but also a teaphobe; while i'm less inclined to buy new work of his (compounded by the ongoing milkage of the Ender Sage, which should probably have ended after Speaker For The Dead), I still view Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead as two fine pieces of science fiction with a strong undercurrent of compassion which is bafflingly at odds with Card's publicly homophobic views.

Totally agree with Rich. It should be left to readers choice as to whether they support his work. I'm staunchly pro gay marriage, but he's entitled to his opinion.
    die-yng, Cassidy, Blade X and 13 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    There are a number of comic book creators who believe something very different to what I do. Some of those beliefs offend me. Sometimes they even inform their art, something that Card is unlikely to be accused of in Superman.
    That's up to the individual, assuming they're making an informed desicion. You choose to carry on, I choose not to. I'm sorry, but if you;re not wrong, neither am I.

Some try to draw a line between an opionated person and an activist. I disagree, any famous person who expresses an opinion, especially in this day and age, de facto becomes an activist for that opinion.
    Bullshit. He's an active campaigner against gay rights. He's not de facto anything, he's right at the forefront of bigotry.

It's a very dangerous game, it has led in the past to witchtrials, McCarthyite or otherwise, and it's no better than the actions of, say, One Million Moms. And next time? It could be you...
    Not all opinions are created equal. Would you support an outspoken Nazi sympathiser? If you don't, next time, they could come for you. Oh, sweet irony...

Ultimate Iron Man sucked, but Ender's Game is freaking amazing and might be my favorite book of all time. That's pretty much all I care about, the quality of the work. I eagerly anticipate this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    The concern expressed in this article seems at odds with your coverage of the hotel chain in the US linked to SDCc and its apparent support for whichever proposition it was that was intended to prevent gay marriage in California.

It's also important to distinguish between actively campaigning for the silencing of someone whose views differ from your own, and choosing not to support work by that person. I read Ender's Game years ago, before finding out tha Card is not just a bigot but also a teaphobe; while i'm less inclined to buy new work of his (compounded by the ongoing milkage of the Ender Sage, which should probably have ended after Speaker For The Dead), I still view Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead as two fine pieces of science fiction with a strong undercurrent of compassion which is bafflingly at odds with Card's publicly homophobic views.
    Mmm tea with milk...
    Fysh likes this.

Exceedingly Cool

Dangerous game indeed.

I love Woody Allen movies, even though I find his relationship with his step-daughter repellant.

I dislike Orson Scott Card's politics, but can't deny that he's a good writer. Ender's Game is flat out brilliant.

As long as an author can leave their politics at the door I can read their work.

When an author weaves their politics into the fiction so it becomes a manifesto or a diatribe then it becomes unreadable. I love Conan Doyle, for example, and adore Professor Challenger, but his Land of Mist novel is rubbish.
    die-yng, obii and Comicsfan101 like this.

Wrote the Book on Cool CBattles6's Avatar

A well-reasoned and...restrained...DC opinion from Rich?!?

[Wakes up 30 minutes later, with no idea where he is our how he got there]

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

This is the same person who practically tried to crucify Paul Jenkins in print when he wrote Two-Face called Batman "Batty-Boy", eh?

My, how we pick and choose..

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast