Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Justice League On Ice Until The Man Of Steel Box Office Is In?

Administrator

Default Is Justice League On Ice Until The Man Of Steel Box Office Is In?

Despite several years of development time, and that's only in respect of this particular iteration, Warner Bros. still aren't ready to pull the trigger on Justice League. Indeed, any sort of forward motion on the film may have stopped entirely.

In Variety's new piece on power shuffles at the head of the studio they say:
    Warner's top brass has indicated that they are awaiting the results of Man of Steel, which opens June 14, before moving further ahead.
    Note that they say "before moving further ahead," not "before giving a green light." This would mean no interviewing or auditioning let alone any kind of pre-production of more concerted prep. That's if we can take Variety's report as to-the-letter accurate.

The proposed 2015 release date for Justice League probably isn't impossible, though it is looking increasingly ill advised.

My gut feeling is that Man of Steel is going to be a smash though, of course, nobody knows anything.

Wrote the Book on Cool

That might be wise. Marvel had a big gamble with the other films leading up to Avengers, but there was a good buffer zone. Had Iron Man tanked there was more than enough time to sink the project without any serious financial loss. If they go all in on a JLA movie and Man of Steel flops, they could be in trouble.

I mean I thought the main reason we haven't seen an explosion of DC superhero flicks from WB is because of Green Lantern's shitty performance.

Green Lantern was such a dog that the studio bosses aren't going to jump into something without some assurance.

Consultant of Cool

If it ain't, it oughta be.

Consultant of Cool mercifulbudah's Avatar

It's funny, when they were courting Ben Affleck the official word was that Henry Cavill's inclusion depended on the Man of Steel's performance. This indicated that they wanted the project to go forward no matter what it took. I don't think it would be bad for them to put out another feeler or two at least. Wonder Woman movie maybe? It's embarrassing at this point that a couple dozen superhero movies have come out and the only super heroines thus far are Catwoman and Super-Ex-Girlfriend. If they want to keep the superhero fad going long enough to get to a Justice League movie they need to shake things up a bit. Women will see movies about Strong Women. Men will see a Wonder Woman movie. Fuck a TV show, show Marvel you can bring something new and different to the big screen.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Wrote the Book on Cool TampaDave's Avatar

If Nolan is going to be involved, it's possible that he'll want a new script.

Ah, once again, Warner/DC's typical indecision rears it's ugly head. Granted, I can understand the reluctance but on the other hand, if reluctance got in the way of Marvel, we'd never have gotten past the Daredevil, Punisher, Elektra, Ghost Rider phase.

Yes, Green Lantern flopped (although given it's worldwide box office it shouldve broke even or been close to it) but so did Fantastic Four, and the other Marvel movies I mentioned. If anything, the only thing Warner/DC perhaps made a mistake on was not waiting to see how well GL would catch on before trying to do all of the multi-media tie-ins to it that they did.
    "Walking bones!"

Exceedingly Cool

I have faith that Warner will screw it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by mercifulbudah View Post
    It's funny, when they were courting Ben Affleck the official word was that Henry Cavill's inclusion depended on the Man of Steel's performance. This indicated that they wanted the project to go forward no matter what it took. I don't think it would be bad for them to put out another feeler or two at least. Wonder Woman movie maybe? It's embarrassing at this point that a couple dozen superhero movies have come out and the only super heroines thus far are Catwoman and Super-Ex-Girlfriend. If they want to keep the superhero fad going long enough to get to a Justice League movie they need to shake things up a bit. Women will see movies about Strong Women. Men will see a Wonder Woman movie. Fuck a TV show, show Marvel you can bring something new and different to the big screen.
    That really would be a good dice roll, especially since Marvel thus far hasn't pulled off a successful female hero movie yet (despite having the characters for it). I just don't see how you don't move forward with the most well-know superheroine? The only reason why WOnder Woman is taking so long to get off the ground is because they're over thinking it, trying to out-guess what the audience wants instead of just running with a good story and movie. It's that type of marketing movie making that just kills a movie but the Suits don't see it that way unfortunately.
    "Walking bones!"

WB, go find your own Pixar type of company and farm all your DC properties to them, you dumb shits.

Marvel, make a dummy corporation and handle WB's DC properties for them. We fans will act like we aren't noticing anything - hell, we buy Clark isn&t Superman b/c of glasses and a slouch, so we're easy.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast