Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Arrow And Amazon May Crossover TV's Green Arrow And Wonder Woman, But Don't Hold Your Breath For Batman

Administrator

Default Arrow And Amazon May Crossover TV's Green Arrow And Wonder Woman, But Don't Hold Your Breath For Batman

Where Marvel have clearly pulled ahead of Warner Bros. and DCEntertainment in bringing superheroes to the big screen, it's DCcharacters that have had better luck on the television.

It's down to the particular formula, maybe. There's something thatSmallville and Arrow have in common, something good looking andwell-dressed and Tumblr friendly. Casting is under way for Amazon, aWonder Woman series, that seems to follow the same recipe.

Speaking at the TCA Press Tour, and quoted by IGN, CW president MarkPedowitz addressed the network's future plans for DC characters.
    In terms of other DC characters, we will explore other DC characters,but we also do a lot of exploration of a lot of other material with alot of other great producers... We worked carefully with Warner Bros.to make sure Warner Bros. theatrical was onboard... to make sure thatit works and that it doesn?t interfere with their projects.
    A good example of the need for Warner Bros.' approval is seen inBatman's conspicuous absence from Smallville, and indeed TV ingeneral. He was considered out of bounds as long as Nolan's films werea going concern, and it seems that policy remains. Here's Pedowitz onthe chances of Bruce Wayne taking up residence on the goggle box:
    At this time, no. And regarding your next question, regarding isBatman going to make a trip to [Arrow?s] Starling City, they?re not inthe same state.
    Not that CW aren't into the crossover craziness that The Avengerstried and tested. The network's okay for Arrow and Amazon to tie-up,should Amazon actually make it to the screen:
    I think they all could exist in the same world, but whether they door they don?t is depending on what the showrunner wants to do.
    Placing faith and handing responsibility to the showrunners is theright thing to do, I think. Every show needs somebody who can focus onnurturing it, getting to know it intimately, caring for it. And topull off a crossover, I really would recommend taking a page out ofMarvel's playbook and getting an overseer, a Whedon, in place toshepherd it.

Arrow is doing very nicely, week in week out while Amazon is castingnow and could go to air this Autumn. Fingers crossed they can pull itoff.
    Matt Krotzer likes this.

Dean of Cool University

I really find it interesting, in an odd way, that they keep their biggest draw out of TV. Had hoped the end of the Nolan films would have changed that.
    twincast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    I really find it interesting, in an odd way, that they keep their biggest draw out of TV. Had hoped the end of the Nolan films would have changed that.
    Probably because he's really easy to do badly.
    ProdSlash and Krysmopompas like this.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Dean of Cool University FilmBuffRich's Avatar

My first thought was that separate film intertwined continuities and TV intertwined continuities might be confusing to the general public, but now I'm leaning towards just thinking of them along the lines of Earth-1 and Earth-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    I can kind of understand it. If they mess it up on (relatively) low-budget TV, they could sour their audience for the more obviously lucrative movie franchise.

Way Cool

I can understand the brand management aspect, especially with Batman being their primary brand. But the CW has such a small market share, and the viewership for most of their shows is so niche, I don't think they have to worry about confusing John Q. Public.

We worked carefully with Warner Bros.to make sure Warner Bros. theatrical was onboard
    And there it is...the problem with DC adaptations. The ongoing fiefdom within WB.
    twincast and Maybeland like this.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FilmBuffRich View Post
    My first thought was that separate film intertwined continuities and TV intertwined continuities might be confusing to the general public, but now I'm leaning towards just thinking of them along the lines of Earth-1 and Earth-2.
    See thing is, kids at least get it. We're on our third Batman cartoon in less than a decade and nobody really seems to be utterly confused by the fact that they aren't in continuity with one another. Or heck that the cartoons don't look like the movies in general. The only ones who seem to think that's the case are people like Jeph Loeb...

Honestly I'll go with the others and say keeping Batman out of live-action TV is probably brand management. He'd be real easy to screw up. Though I always thought a Gotham Central show with Batman as a shadowy, mysterious supporting figure who only ever shows up briefly would be awesome.
    twincast likes this.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bitty View Post
    Though I always thought a Gotham Central show with Batman as a shadowy, mysterious supporting figure who only ever shows up briefly would be awesome.
    Problem with that concept is that the average viewer would always say, "huh, I'd rather see more of this Batman guy then these cops. Why do they keep teasing us about Batman!?" Gotham Central worked great as a book because the comic book reader already had a plethora of Batman book options. That's not the case with the live-action medium. What you're asking is more like "Powers." Which would be awesome once it gets made and FX can get it pushed out the door.
    CaptObtuse likes this.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bitty View Post
    He'd be real easy to screw up.
    People seem to say that a lot, but for better or worse, haven't they got him right more often than wrong, in terms of TV and film? I mean, compare the good adaptations versus the bad ones.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Adam West Batman, but it's fans seem to love it. The Tim Burton Batman movies are also well-regarded by a large faction of the audience. The Nolan movies are considered to be the most adept live-action interpretations. Each animated version since The Animated Series is held in varying degrees of high regard.

It seems the Joel Schumacher films are really the only times the character has been poorly received outside of comics. And that's mainly because he went too camp.

I think there's a chance to screw it up, but I don't think it would be easy. Given the success writers, producers and directors have had over the last 20 years, I think you'd have to go out of your way to drop the ball on it.
    twincast likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast