Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The New Zod Won't Be Asking Anyone To Kneel But I'm Pretty Happy About That

Administrator

Default The New Zod Won't Be Asking Anyone To Kneel But I'm Pretty Happy About That

I see some folk around the internet have been a little disappointed to learn that when General Zod appears in Man of Steel next summer, he won't be doing everything that Superman 2's version of the character did.

Or, to be more specific, Michael Shannon has let slip that to VH1 his version of the character will never get to drop the line:
    Kneel before Zod.
    That snippet of dialogue has recurred plenty of times in the comics since it was first used in Superman 2, but there's no reason that it has to be mandatory.

If the fans' concept of staying true to Zod's character would be having him reheat catchphrase then they're even less forgiving of Zod's characterisation than I am. Surely the essence of Zodness isn't just some line?

Meanwhile, Shannon's comment that Zod won't get the line doesn't mean some other character won't have to say it.

But Zack Snyder has said that Man of Steel will play as though it's the first Superman film and not draw on the previous movie adaptations at all. Of course, he's drawing on the comics and so there will be many tropes and trappings in play that will be very familiar, though I'd consider it unlikely that his 'fresh start' approach will allow for this kind of nodding and winking.

I'm hoping Man of Steel is engrossing enough that I won't be looking for a nudge in a ribs and a whisper of "Hey! Terrence Stamp!" in my ear. And if it isn't holding my attention, I can't see how bringing up an older, better Superman film is going to do it any favours either.

Here's the video of Shannon now.

</p>
    Get More:Big Morning Buzz Live, Michael Shannon
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Captain Cool

I'm fine with that. They obviously need to be moving forward, not backwards with the Superman films.

Exceedingly Cool

One of the big flaws with the Singer Superman film was its utter reliance on earlier films for dialogue. The best way - maybe the only way - to have this be its own entity is to run away from any reminder of the earlier films.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Even though I'd be fine with a new Superman villain in the movie (Mongul!), give us a new Zod one-liner.

Man
    Wrote the Book on Cool

I agree. It wouldn't be worth seeing if Michael Shannon didn't make Zod all his own. I fully expect him to be badass in his own right.

Wrote the Book on Cool Somebody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    If the fans' concept of staying true to Zod's character would be having him reheat catchphrase then they're even less forgiving of Zod's characterisation than I am.
    Uh... you've been pretty clear in the past that you don't give a crap about comics and have no real knowledge of them. Asserting this sort of thing doesn't make you look any better.
    Bangladesh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StarCruncher View Post
    Even though I'd be fine with a new Superman villain in the movie (Mongul!), give us a new Zod one-liner.
    "Peel my Rod!"

No wait, that would be more fitting for "Batman & Robin".

And I'd be in favor for Mongul as the villain (and I pray that no filmmaker EVER will get the idea to use Conduit).

Quote Originally Posted by StarCruncher View Post
    "Bend over for Zod!" while still learning english?
    Bangladesh and juncruznaligas like this.

I am totally fine with no "kneel". But if someone else says it can we get Shannon to follow up with, "Snootchie Bootchies"?
    Mike Gloady likes this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
    Uh... you've been pretty clear in the past that you don't give a crap about comics and have no real knowledge of them. Asserting this sort of thing doesn't make you look any better.
    Hang on... I could make myself "better" by getting more knowledge of comics or caring more about them? Surely comics have nothing to do with how good I am?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast