Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By alekesam
  • 1 Post By Mike H.
  • 3 Post By Lou
  • 1 Post By Thad

Thread: Let's Go Buy Some Comic Book Art - Jack Kirby Or Warren Ellis?

Administrator

Default Let's Go Buy Some Comic Book Art - Jack Kirby Or Warren Ellis?

So below there's this complete sixteen page Jack Kirby story from Thor #134 story for sale. With Thor, Galactus and the first appearance of the High Evolutionary. Currently at $135,000 after 65 bids.

Or, if that's a litle outside your price range, there's the full 22 production pages of an unpublished Warren Ellis Ghost Rider 2099 story drawn by Salgood Sam on eBay for under a grand. And he's using the money to fund a new comic book project...

Why is it that every time I see beautiful Kirby art it immediately makes me think Marvel half-asses their reproductions of Kirby's comics? I kid, I'm sure it's just that they're working from 40 year old photostats/plates of the art but with Marvel's bankroll, I'd think they could afford to rent the pages from whomever owns the art to scan. If Dave Sim can do it for Cerebus then surely Marvel could for Kirby's books?

*EDIT* Alternatively, if IDW could do it, even better. An artist edition of Kirby's Thor comics? Or FF? Eternals? Or 2001 (actually, that'd be the first on my list...the treasury edition, not the series that followed)...do it IDW!
    Last edited by alekesam; 02-19-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Mike H., saidestroyer and Cavemold like this.
    Living my life to be like Jesse Custer but when I look in the mirror all I see is Cassidy. How I ended up with Tulip anyways, God only knows.

Quote Originally Posted by awesomesauce View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that reality has an extreme anti-DC bias......
    Bleeding Cool is causing serious harm to my self-esteem. It won't let me Like myself.

My reaction to seeing Kirby's beautiful artwork is this article:

alekesam likes this.

Jesus! I thought this was going to be another one of those "these are forgeries" posts!
    "Time will tell. It always does." -- The seventh Doctor

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so." -- Theme from Monk

"Tell me who admires you and loves you, and I will tell you who you are." -- Charles Augustin Sainte-Beauve

Lou

Now this was a story!

Writers today should study old Marvels for their pacing. More happens in this issue than in about 8 issues of a Marvel book today.

Quote Originally Posted by alekesam View Post
    Why is it that every time I see beautiful Kirby art it immediately makes me think Marvel half-asses their reproductions of Kirby's comics?
    ...It's not the repros, it's the half-assed finishes that Vince Colletta spooged all over Kirby's stunningly detailed pencils. John Morrow has gone over this one numerous times in The Jack Kirby Collector, and I still wish he'd finally produce a special issue where we're given the next-best thing to Colletta's head on a pike: 96 pages of text and side-by-side comparisons showing how Colletta's inking practically ruined many a Kirby page, especially where the lazy bastard eliminated details that were necessary as they explained where certain persons and objects came from besides from "off panel".

...IIRC, Colletta was the only inker Kirby ever requested not be assigned to his pages, and anyone who's seen the comparison before and after won't begrudge The King for making this request. Colletta may have been fast, he may have been able to beat deadlines, and he may have even made poor artists look good. But where Jack Kirby's art was concerned the only way it could have been worse is if a blind man had been given an industrial-sized Sharpie and told to finish the page via the braille method using his feet to hold the Sharpie.

[thinks]

...Nightmare art assignment from Hell: Ol' Scratchy on pencils, Colletta on inks.
    -------

Burbank soon, but up Jim Lee's ass 'til we get there!

Hell even Fred Hembeck didn't want Colletta ruining his pencils. Hembeck!

Having said that, R.I.P. Vinnie C.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    My reaction to seeing Kirby's beautiful artwork is this article:

My first thought was "God, that's beautiful."

My second was, "I hope it ends up in a museum."

And my third was, "Shit, is this art Marvel didn't return to him?"
    alekesam likes this.

Banned

Interesting discussion about Vince's inks over Kirby in the comments of this blog entry

Jim Shooter: Stan Meets a Mobster and Other Tales to Astonish

And an example here:

Colletta Inks Part I | Kirby Dynamics

Based on those panels - I think Colletta is getting a bad rap