Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: When Imitation Is NOT The Most Sincere Form Of Flattery

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default When Imitation Is NOT The Most Sincere Form Of Flattery

Kate Kotler writes for Bleeding Cool.

Hey Bleeding Cool - how's it hanging? I know it's been a while, sorry - I've been busy doing stuff like falling down the stairs and sustaining a bloody head wound.

Did everyone have nice hols? Good. Let's get down to business, then...

One of the comic series I've been most excited about pulling and reading since Image launched it this past summer has been Tim Seeley and Mike Norton's Revival. In fact, I love this comic so much I have raved about here, here and here in attempts to get the general comic reading public on the same page as me in regards to how unique and exciting the latest of projects from Four Star Studios in Chicago really is.

In fact, in my 28 October 2012 column, which I hate to call a "review" because I'm so clearly completely biased, I asked the creators of this comic if Revival - The TV Series was forthcoming. And, in fact, both Tim and Mike indicated, without directly saying yes, that they'd been approached by major networks about developing the comic into a series.

Since that time, while Revival has continued to grow in popularity and excel in quality, there has been no further news about the development of a television series. In fact, when I attended the Four Star Studios holiday party in December, it was intimated to me that a major studio (*coughABCcough*) had passed on the series. They didn't think it would resonate with viewers "at this time."

Imagine, then, my surprise to wake up this morning, rub the sleep out of my eyes, pour myself some coffee and jump on these here innerwebs to find a link to an article in Variety's TV News section:
    ABC developing Plan B supernatural drama: Returned from scribe Aaron Zelman hails from ABC Studios
    So, let's see... ABC passed on Revival,?*a comic about supernatural forces at work in a small?*Midwestern?*town and people returning from the dead, so they could produce The Returned, a TV series about supernatural forces at work in a small?*Midwestern?*town and ?*people returning from the dead? What are the chances?

I'm told that?*The Returned?*is based off of a novel of the same name. Interestingly enough, the novel hasn't been published yet. It's not due to hit bookstores until September 2013 ?*and it was announced for publication in May 2012. That's after Revival #1?*had already been sent to the printers by Image Comics.

Let's not forget that ABC Television has already been accused of being?*completely willing to appropriate concepts from comics and re-package them without giving credit or royalties to the original creator of said concept.

When contacted for his reaction to this breaking news, Tim Seeley said the following:
    It's an unfortunate thing for us, as we had worked with some very talented people to get Revival on the small screen, and we were completely unaware that this novel/script existed. But, I choose to believe that these things just happen some times, and we plucked a low hanging fruit, or simply fell upon a concept that was "in the air."

Revival is a project I've put my heart and soul into, and even if we're not going to be totally unique in the entertainment world, conceptually,?* I still think it's some of the best stuff Mike Norton and I have produced, and our characters and dedication will stand out.

We appreciate the fans and readers who got good and outraged for us.
    I've gotta say, Seeley and Norton prove themselves a lot classier than I am.

Whether or not this concept was already "in the air" or not, I know - for my part - that I will not be watching this or any other show on ABC?*for quite a long time.

And, that hurts my heart because that means I won't be getting my weekly Nathan Fillion fix... those ABC bastards.

Kate Kotler?*is a columnist for Bleeding Cool and the host of the weekly Comix Chix podcast on GeekNation. You can keep up with what she's doing by visiting her website or following her on the Twitters.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Cetainly not a unique premise (They Came Back - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

but didn't ABC do something similar with Fables / Once Upon A Time?
    cmock127 and KAIJU SNUFF like this.

I know it's been a while, sorry - I've been busy doing stuff like falling down the stairs and sustaining a bloody head wound.
    Aw, now I feel really bad I prayed so hard for that to happen.

I kid of course. I of course would never wish actual harm upon anyone, and was just making a joke at the fact Kate has always been...differently popular with BC readers. Hope you're feeling better, Kate

But back to the article itself- Didn't ABC pull this EXACT same trick with Fables and Once Upon A Time. It's frankly bloody amazing they can keep getting away with this stuff. I'm almost hoping they eventually pull it on somebody with the bankroll and desire to sue, but I suppose they're probably more likely to keep picking on those who can't fight back. Absolutely typical Disney bullshit.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nolan View Post
    Cetainly not a unique premise (They Came Back - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

but didn't ABC do something similar with Fables / Once Upon A Time?
    Which she already mentioned.
    And yes, you are right, this is not the most unique concept, but if the reported circumstances and time-frame are true then this is a bit too much to just be concidental, especially giving the Fables/Once upon a time incident.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Wrote the Book on Cool AdorkableGrrl's Avatar

Differently popular? Wow... I would have said that you guys just really relish any opportunity to take the piss out of me for any reason (which is evident considering your "joke.") I am feeling much better, thanks - I was lucky not to be injured in a more serious manner, considering that the reason I fell down the stairs and caught my head on a sharp corner was because someone walking behind me fell into me (she went feet over head down the stairs after tripping) and I barely escaped falling onto my dog and then going feet over head over the railing of the stairs.

Yes, ABC has done this before (with Fables/Once Upon a Time). And, yes, it's the correct time frame for the swipe. Follow the links in the article.
    Kate Kotler
    Bleeding Cool Columnist
    Twitter: @adorkablegrrl

Way Cool

Call in the lawyers. This is happening over and over.
    This will keep happening till someone makes an example of the networks.
    Maybe this can be done as an offshoot of CBLDF? A lawyer that goes after stuff like this and a % of the win goes to the CBLDF?
    Just an idea.
    Last edited by JIMMY PALMIOTTI; 01-23-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdorkableGrrl View Post
    Wow... I would have said that you guys just really relish any opportunity to take the piss out of me for any reason (which is evident considering your "joke.")
    Well that sort've was the joke, really. I do appreciate it was in bad taste though, and if it helps I do feel appropriately bad about it, and I really, genuinely do hope you're recovering well and feeling better. You have my genuine apologies. Sorry.
    AdorkableGrrl likes this.

Zen Master of Cool

Seeley and Norton are being classy because there's no real evidence to support that it's thievery.

If Mott's book was announced last May, when Revival was being shipped off to the printers, then it would have been started well before that. Mott's a first time author, so there's really no chance a publisher would have bought a book that didn't exist.

Even if Mott's an incredibly prolific writer, he probably started writing Returned a year before Revival came out.

Given how prominent zombies are in popular culture these days, it's not hard to think that the idea to have people come back as actual living creatures really has been in the air.

Way Cool

Like I tweeted upon hearing this sad bit of news: ABC --> Always Be Copying. 'Nuff Said. Revival is one of the few comics I'll buy digitally and then get the trade. It's so good!

Wrote the Book on Cool AdorkableGrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMY PALMIOTTI View Post
    Call in the lawyers. This is happening over and over.
    This will keep happening till someone makes an example of the networks.
    Maybe this can be done as an offshoot of CBLDF? A lawyer that goes after stuff like this and a % of the win goes to the CBLDF?
    Just an idea.
    Jimmy - you should email Norton and Seeley and suggest this. I already have (I think what I said was "if I were Image, I'd be getting the company's attorney involved") but I think that it'd add weight if it came from you and other pros who feel this way. Hit me up if you need their contact info (but I suspect you already have it.) XO to you and AC....

Keith - it's cool, no worries - I know it was a joke. But, I had to dig there while I could.

Kyle - follow the links in the article. The book is being published in September 2013. That's a matter of record. The "bidding war" over Mott's book occurred after its publication announcement in May 2012, which is also a matter of record.

Revival #1 came out in June 2012, which puts the solicitation/pitch/pre-pub work happening six-to-nine months previous (as we all know comics moves slower than molasses) - meaning that the book was in the Image hopper (a process which includes solicitation for film and television) as long ago as fall of 2011. Which means that Revival precedes The Return by nearly a year.

Given ABC Television's history swiping concept from comics, I'm more than highly suspicious of what happened here. Team Revival has been in talks to develop the book as a television property for almost a year and it has been brought up several times in casual conversation in the Chicago comics community - friends speculating where it would end up and how it would put Mike and Tim on the map. You can give ABC the benefit of the doubt, but honestly - they have a history of doing this... What is really going to be telling is when the series or book comes out and can be compared side-by-side with Norton and Seeley's work. Regardless, if I were they, I'd be really pissed off right now.
    Last edited by AdorkableGrrl; 01-23-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    the_Dagman and lexid523 like this.
    Kate Kotler
    Bleeding Cool Columnist
    Twitter: @adorkablegrrl

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast