Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: Warren Ellis Is Rob Liefeld's Role Model. Mike Carlin, Not So Much.

Administrator

Default Warren Ellis Is Rob Liefeld's Role Model. Mike Carlin, Not So Much.

Rob Liefeld relatively recently posted about his career and how he believes he revived it, and his reputation, in the wake of Heroes Reborn.
    It began with the internet and with Warren Ellis. Yes, Warren Ellis. I had followed him on line and had watched and interacted with his weekly newsletter. He had built quite a tribe on line and I felt that there was much to learn from his example. Remember, this was long before Facebook or twitter were anything even remotely resembling a reality. In short, social media did not exist. So I started by jumping on message boards and interacting with all varieties of threads, even those that were famous for bashing me. I was always calm and polite in the face of the most heinous attacks. I stood my ground and didn?t get involved on an emotional level. If you don?t like me, fine, I can only defend a fallacy about my work not how you feel about me personally.
    However, it's another period of time he is revisiting on Twitter right now... and a certain ex-Senior Group Editor at DC Comics, now Creative Director for DC Entertainment in Burbank. Rob is not shy with his language either.
    Prior to leaving DC comics, fat pig that he is, Mike Carlin told Norm Rapmund, Todd Nauck and Marat Mychaels he would never have hired me..

? robertliefeld (@robertliefeld) January 5, 2013
    He told them in the middle of artist alley during Comic Con. I remember him CRYING for me to stay at DC when I left for New Mutants...

Told me that I would never amount to anything if I went to Marvel. Always wondered how shitty the taste in his mouth was when Image launched

He told Norm, Todd and Marat that I "never amounted to anything". Yeah those millions of Youngblood's outselling Superman must've hurt

I never mentioned Carlin and his wife crapping on me at comic-con to my bosses at DC, but that was the start of the end.

Again, an editor that cried when I left, 20 years later telling my peers he regretted hiring me....tells you how it goes. Bitter guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    So I started by jumping on message boards and interacting with all varieties of threads, even those that were famous for bashing me. I was always calm and polite in the face of the most heinous attacks. I stood my ground and didn?t get involved on an emotional level. If you don?t like me, fine, I can only defend a fallacy about my work not how you feel about me personally.
    Maybe Wacker can learn from a young Rob...

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Banned

[/INDENT]
    Again, an editor that cried when I left, 20 years later telling my peers he regretted hiring me....tells you how it goes. Bitter guy.

Yeah, but Rob's not bitter at all - making these comments

[/INDENT]
    He told Norm, Todd and Marat that I "never amounted to anything". Yeah those millions of Youngblood's outselling Superman must've hurt

Wow, 15 odd years later and Rob still doesn't realize that those comics were bought by speculators, not readers

Consultant of Cool

Well, Ellis sure influenced Liefeld's use of f-bombs.

Exceedingly Cool

What a whinner....
    saidestroyer likes this.

Warren Ellis Is Rob Liefeld's Role Model.
    Can Ellis live with that on his conscience?
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Rob is a drama queen and not very truthful.
    end of story
    move on
    saidestroyer and Hatebunny like this.
    GET THE FREE GROK RADIO MUSIC APP!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    Can Ellis live with that on his conscience?
    ...This is one where you could go either way, kids. Either Ellis deserves such reputational excoriating, or maybe his being a hack still doesn't deserve that much guilt by association

-------

Wrote the Book on Cool doomedhuh's Avatar

Rob is the hero of the industry

Lou

And Robert Hinckley had an infatuation with Jodie Foster...look where that lead...
    CammyKnoxville and dstritz like this.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast