Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: The Future Of Nate Simpson's Nonplayer

Administrator

Default The Future Of Nate Simpson's Nonplayer

First it was an accident that smashed his wrist up. Now it's an impending child. The likelihood of more issues of Nonplayer from Nate Simpson is up in the air.

Issue 1 launches from Image Comics in 2011 with a bang, commercial success and critical praise, but with no followup. Currently creator Nate Simpson says there are three and a half pages to finish inking and lots of colouring to do (the above is a partially coloured page from issue 2) but his first child is due in May, so...

Currently he creates the book around his day job. He is considering a Kickstarter project to cover his income and healthcare over six years. Or splitting in into more manageable chunks.
    Perhaps a two-year project to fund a large-format, hardback collection of every two issues. Maybe with some sort of making-of chapter at the end that collects concept sketches and pages-in-progress, so that the volume comes out to 60-70 pages. This is where I could really use your advice. What would you like to see, and at what price? Would a finished book be enough, or would you expect some frills? Posters? Original artwork?
    But either way, it's coming. And issue 2 is closer than ever...

VP in Charge of Cool betty boolean's Avatar

I just reread #1 of this funnily enough . . .

As a comic reader i would like to see a comic come out on something like a regular schedule.

I'm not interested in paying premium price to reread #1 again in any format.

A book this late should be preceded by a free reprint of #1 to regenerate interest.

As the colouring seems to be the most time intensive process i'm not holding my breath for #2.

Why image are continuing to publish this from a creator who cannot produce a second issue within 2 years of the first is what is puzzling me.
    Victorian Squid and NinjaMic like this.
    “Everything in life is just for a while.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

--------------------------------

"DC comics are for ☛□☚'s"

"Batman Eternal my @¬$£"

"Marvel Essential collections make great colouring books"
    --Betty Boolean

Ceased caring. It's just another Battle Chasers now.
    NinjaMic likes this.

Zen Master of Cool

at this point I would like the story to be completed into one oversized hardcover.

life happens sometimes, you just gotta roll with it.

I don't really understand why, with a creative process that's so involved, Simpson doesn't just go for the kickstarter-as-graphic-novel approach. I mean, he's working on it around a full time job so he doesn't need to fund its creation - doing it that way would be less likely to generate frustration than the single issue followed by interminable wait for next issue approach.
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Ceased caring. It's just another Battle Chasers now.
    not even close. Joe Mad just quit on the book and left and just teases about coming back to it. Fuck you Joe Mad

Dean of Cool University

I like the look of Nonplayer, but due to the uncertain schedule I'll be waiting for the trade. If I'm not dead by then.
    NinjaMic likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool betty boolean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    I don't really understand why, with a creative process that's so involved, Simpson doesn't just go for the kickstarter-as-graphic-novel approach. I mean, he's working on it around a full time job so he doesn't need to fund its creation - doing it that way would be less likely to generate frustration than the single issue followed by interminable wait for next issue approach.
    Turns out we ( comics readers ) are all Nate Simpsons bitches
    He's not interested in finishing. He exploited the good will and sales of the first issue to sell the pitch to Hollywood and the comic is just an inconvenience now. He's stated as much on his own blog that if he could jump sideways into film he would in a heartbeat.
    “Everything in life is just for a while.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

--------------------------------

"DC comics are for ☛□☚'s"

"Batman Eternal my @¬$£"

"Marvel Essential collections make great colouring books"
    --Betty Boolean

Wow that looks good, sucks about the juggling though.

Wrote the Book on Cool

As much as I enjoyed the first issue, I'd be wary of pledging money on Kickstarter because I can see it taking forever for Simpson to get a big enough fire under his butt to finish.
    Howard and betty boolean like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast