Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Munsters Reboot Mockingbird Lane Finally Put To Rest By NBC

Administrator

Default Munsters Reboot Mockingbird Lane Finally Put To Rest By NBC

Bryan Fuller had been holding out hope that the Hallowe'en airing of the Mockingbird Lane pilot might have convinced NBC to give the show a go ahead for a series later in 2013. Sadly, he brought the bad news to Twitter himself:
    I tweet with a heavy heart. NBC not moving forward with #MockingbirdLane. From producers and cast, thank you all for enthusiasm and support.

? Bryan Fuller (@BryanFuller) December 27, 2012
    The show reworked the basic set up of The Munsters to curious, lightly surreal, off-beat comedic effect. There was definitely potential here.

Fuller's other project of the moment is Hannibal, a TV procedural set in the world of Thomas Harris' Lecter books. This one has the full support of NBC. For now.

Consultant of Cool williamhodge's Avatar

That's a shame. I really liked the show. I'm usually not one to go for remakes that barely resemble the original, but I really like what they did with this.
    AMDin and StarCruncher like this.
    Check out "The Uncanny"
    http://www.wyldcardstudio.com/uncanny

Zen Master of Cool

Probably would have done better at ABC anyway.

Wrote the Book on Cool thecomicbookshop.co.uk's Avatar
    Kingston Upon Hull, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

hated it, glad it's not coming back.
    _OM_ likes this.
    PAUL EKE

AMAZING FANTASY
    19 ANLABY ROAD,
    HULL,
    HU1 2PJ,
    UNITED KINGDOM
    thecomicbookshop.co.uk

It wasn't The Munsters because they had no qualms about killing. It was more Addams Family. It failed because Herman was not in Frankenstein makeup.
    obii, SMARTASS8, Blade X and 4 others like this.
    Comic2read

Quote Originally Posted by Comic2read View Post
    It wasn't The Munsters because they had no qualms about killing. It was more Addams Family. It failed because Herman was not in Frankenstein makeup.
    Maybe it failed with *you* because of a lack of makeup on one character. It failed with NBC for entirely different reasons, I'm sure.

NBC EXEC: What!? No makeup on Herman Munster? Pull the plug!

BRYAN SINGER: We can put him in make--

NBC EXEC: PULL THE PLUG!
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

It was more Addams Family.
    I liked The Munsters pilot, but I would LOVE to see a new Addams Family tv series.

Dean of Cool University Drew Melbourne's Avatar

As much as I generally like Fuller's work, I thought this was a mess. My immediate reaction to the episode after first viewing was "How did this get on the air?" The premise and the tone are all over the place, but more than that, the story itself seemed muddled. It felt like they'd compressed 2 or 3 episodes worth of story into one hour, jettisoning all of the most important plot points and character moments along the way. The fact that NBC ever aired the thing is likely (hopefully?) testament to how much faith they have in Fuller's HANNIBAL and how much they want to keep him happy.
    D Bell likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I wouldn't even say it was more Addams Family. Wasn't the Munsters either. It was it's own thing. And that own thing wasn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    As much as I generally like Fuller's work, I thought this was a mess. My immediate reaction to the episode after first viewing was "How did this get on the air?" The premise and the tone are all over the place, but more than that, the story itself seemed muddled. It felt like they'd compressed 2 or 3 episodes worth of story into one hour, jettisoning all of the most important plot points and character moments along the way. The fact that NBC ever aired the thing is likely (hopefully?) testament to how much faith they have in Fuller's HANNIBAL and how much they want to keep him happy.
    I heard it aired (and didn't go to series) because Singer spent way too much money on just the pilot. NBC was just trying to recoup some of their costs and, I'm sure, gauge interest. I'd like to think that if there had been an unexpected groundswell of support that they would have found a way to justify greenlighting the series.

I wish more pilots aired in this manner. So many interesting things get made every year and never "officially" seen (such as the Locke & Key pilot and the Wonder Woman pilot).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast