Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Dan Slott Breaks The Internet In Half. Literally

Administrator

Default Dan Slott Breaks The Internet In Half. Literally

Dan Slott in June:
    Every now and then, someone says, "This will break the internet in half" or some other great piece of hyperbole. I can say this with a straight face -- and not an ounce of shame or showmanship -- this is the biggest damn thing I've ever done with any character in any story I've ever worked on.
    December, the day of Amazing Spider-Man 700's release: many (though not all) Comixology users suffer outages, prompting the following tweet:
    We?re experiencing some heavy server traffic. Thanks A LOT, @danslott! #ASM700

? comiXology (@comiXology) December 27, 2012
    Of course it may also be partly down to a lot of shiny new tablets and smartphones from Father Christmas... Still, Amazing Spider-Man issue 700 is currently their number one in-app purchase on iOS. So it may well be that Dan Slott is the first comics creator who can legitimately claim to have broken the Internet in half. He just doesn't like to brag about it. But one person who did have something to say was Stan Lee.
    @danslott what a gift, some guys give a nice cigar, a watch, but no not you, I get a dead #PeterParker Thanks for the bday wishes my friend! ? stan lee (@TheRealStanLee) December 27, 2012
    .@therealstanlee HA! Printing that out now. THAT'S goin' up on the fridge! I am NEVER taking that down!!!! :-D ? Dan Slott (@DanSlott) December 27, 2012
    @danslott at lest you'll have a good price of writing in your house. Ha. Keep up the amazingly spectacular work you always do!

? stan lee (@TheRealStanLee) December 27, 2012
    For those without a smartphone or tablet, here's the AR plot page from Superior Spider-Man that is triggered by the last page of Slott's story in Amazing Spider-Man #700.

And while we're adding pictures, how about the final version of the Steve Ditko cover for Amazing Spider-Man #700...

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

In other news, Dan Slott blocks both Comixology and Stan Lee for their disparaging remarks.
    Will work for Love Checks.

My gawd, Spider-man IS Barney Stinson!

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Love that Ditko webbing!

Exceedingly Cool

Did I get that right? 7.99 for this issue? Or is it just for this limited cover edition or something.

So my thoughts... When I first read about it I actually thought it was not bad. I had stopped reading ASM ages ago so this storyline seemed interesting, though I admit I misunderstood it. I had no idea Ock has Spidey's "sense of morality" which is just ridiculous, I'd rather if he was his arrogant self that does what he does partially to spite Peter, partially to just show he can. But yeah, this has got potential to be great.

However, I'm not going to be reading SSM for one reason: Dan Slott. I followed him on Twitter and saw him gleefully retweeting negative comments about his work - not threatening, not directed against him, just people writing how upset and ruiningtheirlifeforeverish they feel. Lets face it, there's only one reason an author would do something like that- so ppl would pile up on that person.

The second reason is MJ/Spock (Spock cos Spider-Man Ock, I just made this up, I'm brilliant). I'm afraid Slott might treat it ambiguously or try to provoke discussion and in the age of "forcible rapes" and female bodies "shutting down" and judges giving more lenient sentences to rapists because the female wasn't "defending herself hard enough and there wasn't much damage done" this is something I don't need in my life.

Nothing gained, nothing lost then. I'll just check this title in a year to see how it's going.
    Last edited by Nova; 12-27-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Grammar is hard
    taichara likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Did I get that right? 7.99 for this issue?
    It's $7.99 for 104 pages of all-new content (1 big story, 2 shorter stories, previews, a cover gallery, 4 pages or so of letters).
    Rootfireember likes this.

気持ち悪い

Wrote the Book on Cool Wallabee Champ's Avatar

Did Ditko really do a cover for Marvel? That seems unlikely....

EDIT: It's a previously unused image from back in the days when Ditko worked for Marvel.
    Last edited by Wallabee Champ; 12-27-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    However, I'm not going to be reading SSM for one reason: Dan Slott. I followed him on Twitter and saw him gleefully retweeting negative comments about his work - not threatening, not directed against him, just people writing how upset and ruiningtheirlifeforeverish they feel. Lets face it, there's only one reason an author would do something like that- so ppl would pile up on that person.
    He very specifically asked people not to do that. He was retweeting them because he thought they were funny.
    Mad_Man_Moon and Adam like this.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Wallabee Champ View Post
    Unlikely, but true. He did draw this cover... in 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallabee Champ View Post

EDIT: It's a previously unused image from back in the days when Ditko worked for Marvel.
    I may be wrong, but isn‘t that the unused Ditko cover for Amazing Fantasy 15?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast