Thread: More Cinema Tickets Were Sold On Christmas Day Than Any Other Day Ever (Well, By Fandango Anyhow)

Administrator

Default More Cinema Tickets Were Sold On Christmas Day Than Any Other Day Ever (Well, By Fandango Anyhow)

In an official statement, US cinema ticket booking service Fandango have announced that Christmas Day was their record breaker for the largest number of seats sold ever.

The service has existed since 2000 but it was only during this year that Fandango started to offering bookings all AMC cinemas across the US. No surprise, then, that figures are way up.

The previous record was set on May 4th, when The Avengers opened. But Christmas day saw some big new releases and a lot of attractive fare still on screens. Here are the top seven films by Fandango sales on that day:
    1. Les Miserables
    2. Django Unchained
    3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    4. Parental Guidance
    5. This is 40
    6. Jack Reacher
    7. Lincoln
    According to BoxOfficeMojo,Reacher actually drew in a tiny bit more money than This Is 40 and The Guilt Trip claimed more than Lincoln but the list of dollar rankings shakes out the same as the pre-bookings otherwise.

It's worth noting, perhaps, that Les Mis and Django were responsible for the second and third highest Christmas Day openings of all time, in dollar terms - and the fourth and fifth best box office for the day overall, behind Sherlock Holmes, Avatar and Meet the Fockers.

Meanwhile, over here in the UK, Cinemas were closed on Christmas Day - as ever. Boxing Day business seemed brisk, however, and I'll be interested to see how the figures shake out later on today.

Banned

I saw Hobbit & Django all in one day. Both were excellent movies, but Django was the better movie experience by far.

Way Cool

I saw the Hobbit with Fandango purchased tickets only because I got a Fandango Gift Card. And will probably be the only time I'll use this "service" unless I get another gift card. The time it took the ticket-taker to scan my "e-ticket" was longer that it would've taken to buy a ticket.

Dean of Cool University CammyKnoxville's Avatar

I work at a movie theater, and I was working Christmas Day. While Django drew a lot of people, Les Mis was sold out all day, with lines for the next showings wrapped all around the theater (it was raining outside) 45-60 minutes prior. It was insane!

Here in the UK, Boxing Day at the cinema I work was steady but not crazy. We sold out a couple of showing of The Hobbit in a smaller screen, but most showings were probably around 50-150 people each. Not even close to Skyfall levels of busy. They're expecting big things of Les Mis, though...

Dean of Cool University EmperorCheese's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    I saw Hobbit & Django all in one day. Both were excellent movies, but Django was the better movie experience by far.
    Not surprising, Jamie Foxx does get to kill a lot of white people.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorCheese View Post
    Not surprising, Jamie Foxx does get to kill a lot of white people.
    And this has... What all to do with how good the movie was?