Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Danger Zone - A New Mature Readers Line To Rival Vertigo?

Administrator

Default Danger Zone - A New Mature Readers Line To Rival Vertigo?

Action Lab, better known for their all ages comnics such as Princeless, Molly Danger and their NFL Rushzone book have strated a mature readers imprint, Danger Zone.

And just as DC Vertigo did with Disney's Touchstone, line, so Action Lab are doing with Jason Martin and his Super Real Graphics line. So we get Zombie Tramp from Dan Mendoza, Dave Dwonch?s Double Jumpers,?* The Trip, The Rabid, Ehmm Theory, Tony Fleecs and Tone Rodriguez?s American Goth Chick, Dave Dwonch and Rob Ruddell?s Ghost Town, Jason Martin?s Night of the 80?s Undead, Grant Gould?s The Wolves of Odin and more.

Here, take a peek...

obii likes this.

That doesn't look like Vertigo, that looks more like Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Exactly. I always found it laughable that people thought MAX was going to be Marvel's Vertigo as well. Vertigo isn't just gore and sex. It was (and still is) supposed to be for 'mature' audiences, not for audiences that just happen to be born more than 18 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    ...And just as DC Vertigo did with Disney's Touchstone, line, so Action Lab are doing with Jason Martin and his Super Real Graphics line...
    And can someone please explain to me what this line is supposed to mean? What Did Vertigo ever do with Disney's Touchstone branded films???

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Well let's see now.

Varying artists on different titles with wildly varying styles? Check.
    A wide berth of story types ranging from what looks like horror, sci-fi fantasy to street level everyday stories? Check.
    Mature-themed comics aimed squarely at someone who might be looking for something other than homengenized pg-13 superheroics (refrigerator stuffing and mind-wiping villains notwithstanding)? Check. Check. Check.

The only thing that remotely makes this seem like Avatar is some of the gore, in which case comparatively is nothing like Avatar. By your reasoning, Vertigo itself would be an Avatar book and I think it's safe to say that's not the case (tho' I could make a case for Crossed and a few other Warren Ellis titles having made it as a Vertigo book at some point...too bad WB had to stick their nose in DC's contracts that pretty much killed that idea and any other future books by him at the company).
    obii and TGC like this.

VP in Charge of Cool betty boolean's Avatar

Looks like a new line for Puerile and Immature readers.

They should have one of those labels on it 'Parental Advisory - This $#!+ sucks'
    chris2002, ShadowMax and GLuke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMax View Post
    Exactly. I always found it laughable that people thought MAX was going to be Marvel's Vertigo as well. Vertigo isn't just gore and sex. It was (and still is) supposed to be for 'mature' audiences, not for audiences that just happen to be born more than 18 years ago.
    I know. If anything, JiM would be closer to Vertigo than 85% of anything the MAX line has put out.
    Hi_HorseLarnick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by betty boolean View Post
    Looks like a new line for Puerile and Immature readers.

They should have one of those labels on it 'Parental Advisory - This $#!+ sucks'
    SHouldn't we wait until the actual books are out to start claiming that this will suck?
    TGC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alekesam View Post
    I know. If anything, JiM would be closer to Vertigo than 85% of anything the MAX line has put out.
    In my mind Vertigo meant 'Mature' as more thought-provoking first of all, that also just benefitted from being allowed to have violence and sex as an added bonus because of marketing exclusively to older audiences. These comics (just like the MAX line) are just targeting the same crowd that regular comics do, but with the gimmick of gore and sex if you happen to carry an ID that says you are legally an adult.
    Last edited by ShadowMax; 12-24-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    obii and saidestroyer like this.

Cool idea, good luck with it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast