Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Fanboy Rampage: John Byrne Vs... John Byrne?

Administrator

Default Fanboy Rampage: John Byrne Vs... John Byrne?

Here is a very special Christmas present for you all.

Discussing Galactus, on the 5th of October, John Byrne posted on his message board, replying to an earlier poster.
    Such a great character. Why, oh why, did the second FF movie screw everything up?!

??

To be fair, it could have been a lot worse!

I was as disappointed as anybody with the gas cloud with Galactus' shadow on it, but in many ways I suspect we should be grateful for small mercies. A CGI Galactus stomping around Manhattan -- or Tokyo, or wherever that was -- would have stood a very good chance of just looking silly. It would have taken a very deft hand to do him justice.

And I will say this, altho it happened during the absurd TeleTubbie scene, I was quite jubilant when the Surfer actually said "GALACTUS". All that dancing around with "the Destroyer" made me sure they were going to cop out entirely.

The real lesson here, tho, is how much contempt there is in Hollywood for comics, and superheroes. They called the SIlver Surfer by name, but had to have Ben mock the title. They snuck in "Galactus" almost as a throwaway. Yet, seriously, are those names any more silly than, say, Dumbledore, or Smeagol, or Goldfinger?
    This was then quoted by userDavid Plunkert in a reply on the 21st December;
    I was as disappointed as anybody with the gas cloud with Galactus' shadow on it, but in many ways I suspect we should be grateful for small mercies. A CGI Galactus stomping around Manhattan -- or Tokyo, or wherever that was -- would have stood a very good chance of just looking silly. It would have taken a very deft hand to do him justice.

iii

I've loved many a comic tale that featured giant beings but have yet to be awed when giant sized creatures pop up in superhero films (Loki's serpent, Giant Sandman).

I can't put my finger on why its distracting or an odd fit....might be the same reason why its cooler to see Superman pull a door off a car than it is to see him lift a continental shelf.

Byrne then replied to this... but for somehow didn't realise that the bit he was replying to were his own words months earlier.
    A CGI Galactus stomping around Manhattan -- or Tokyo, or wherever that was -- would have stood a very good chance of just looking silly. It would have taken a very deft hand to do him justice.

??

Did you think the Iron Giant looked "silly"? The Balrog? The cave troll? The Transformers?

If Galactus was played as a giant cardboard cutout "stomping around", sure, he'd look silly. But what if some thought was put into it? What if, because of his immense size, he moves somewhat in slow motion, with perhaps a slight "ghost image" following him? (And I don't recall Galactus being particularly inclined to "stomp" anyway!)
    We've always enjoyed how John Byrne has taken offence at often the most innocuous of things. However as far as I can tell, this is the first time he's kicked off at himself.

Fanboy Rampage was a blog by Graeme McMillan dedicated to the funniest, most ludicrous and most inappropriate comic book back-and-forths online. McMillan has moved on now, becoming a proper journalist for the likes of Newsarama and Spinoff but he gave permission to Bleeding Cool to revive his great creation. Feel free to contribute your own spots of online excess.
    Revolutionary Cyke and Marq like this.

Way Cool

if he disagrees with himself, what chance does everyone else have ?

Crotchety internet poster says something silly. In other news Pope says he's big on Jesus and guilt.
    _OM_, J.C. Bakken, TGC and 2 others like this.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

That's hilarious. Some people might even learn a lesson from this, but Byrne's ego is definitely to big for that.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Byrne has posted in other threads, but has had nothing further to say about Galactus since.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/f...69&PN=0&TPN=49

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ps86375aef.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

Exceedingly Cool
    Over the horizon. Keep going, you'll find it.

Screenshot those Byrne Robotics pages now, John Byrne will be deleting them post haste.

Amazing how people took sides on that thread.

With Tolerance For Patterns...

Marq

Wrote the Book on Cool thecomicbookshop.co.uk's Avatar
    Kingston Upon Hull, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Maybe it's time he was in a rest home...
    DarthEwok likes this.
    PAUL EKE

AMAZING FANTASY
    19 ANLABY ROAD,
    HULL,
    HU1 2PJ,
    UNITED KINGDOM
    thecomicbookshop.co.uk

Marq, don't worry, there are screen grabs

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...s20Stuff_1.png

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...0Stuff_1-1.png

(Can't post images here, for some reason. Get a message that the files are too large)

Bi-polar with a possible multiple personality disorder. I always suspected as much...

Dean of Cool University CammyKnoxville's Avatar

John Byrne: The Gollum of Comics.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast