Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich Johnston
  • 1 Post By Caltsoudas

Thread: Mickey Makes It To Comixology

Administrator

Default Mickey Makes It To Comixology

So there's a bunch of Disney comics on Comixology now.

There are different sections, and for the traditional Disney comic material, with the exception of two Epic Mickey books written by Peter David, it appears to be material generated by Disney Italy.

Disney comic books have always been popular in Italy and have created a mini-industry devited to them over the last half century. So there's a lot of material to get through.

This is also the first time much of this material has been made available to the US market as well.
    obii likes this.

Zen Master of Cool NielsVanEekelen's Avatar

Not listed in the Marvel section, it's worth noting, despite all rumors of all Disney-owned comics moving under one roof.
    FULCRUM: An ongoing fantasy saga by Niels van Eekelen, out now on Kindle and Smashwords in all e-book formats, or start reading for FREE on TelltaleProductions.nl

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NielsVanEekelen View Post
    Not listed in the Marvel section, it's worth noting, despite all rumors of all Disney-owned comics moving under one roof.
    Do you see it at all? I don't, just like all those IDW books they can't sell in most countries.

Bleeding Cool

Now digital comics!! Is there anything the mouse doesnt get

Zen Master of Cool NielsVanEekelen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post
    Do you see it at all? I don't, just like all those IDW books they can't sell in most countries.
    They're available here in the Netherlands. (As are those IDW books, at least the TransFormers ones--they got the rights sorted out after a while.)
    FULCRUM: An ongoing fantasy saga by Niels van Eekelen, out now on Kindle and Smashwords in all e-book formats, or start reading for FREE on TelltaleProductions.nl

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by NielsVanEekelen View Post
    If those rumors were true, Marvel would've been pumping out Donald Duck comics in 2012. They haven't.

FINALLY!!!!

I've grown up with the Italian comics translated in Greek my entire childhood.... the comics are one thing Disney Italy does better than the States.
    ShadowMax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caltsoudas View Post
    FINALLY!!!!

I've grown up with the Italian comics translated in Greek my entire childhood.... the comics are one thing Disney Italy does better than the States.
    Me too. Up until my teens when they started publishing the american Carl Barks comics here in Greece, all I knew was the italian ones. These comics have fantastic art and very imaginative stories. Or at least that's how I remember them. My favorite comics used to be the Romita Sr. Spider-Man and those Italian Donald Duck stories, especially whenever Phantom Duck made an appearance!
    ShadowMax prefers Valiant comics. The choice of the brave.

Very Cool

Default Finally, after all these years of going it alone...

Actually, Disney had their own comic-reader app called Digicomics on the app store for years, run by the worldwide publishing group, and featuring these Itailian Disney comics. The store went through a couple of permutations, but never quite took off. They certainly were available in the US market.

For my part, I just didn't like the comics themselves -- they didn't feel right, not like the Gladstone comics or the Gold Key comics of the past. The art was generally okay, but the stories were just 'off.' Plus, the pricing seemed too expensive, though I find that a problem with Comixology as well -- one you've opened a firehose of material, charging by the tiny glass just doesn't sit well.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by twistmeyer View Post
    For my part, I just didn't like the comics themselves -- they didn't feel right, not like the Gladstone comics or the Gold Key comics of the past. The art was generally okay, but the stories were just 'off.' Plus, the pricing seemed too expensive, though I find that a problem with Comixology as well -- one you've opened a firehose of material, charging by the tiny glass just doesn't sit well.
    A store charging per piece is pretty normal ...