Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Google Doodle Red Riding Hood Comic Book For Christmas

Administrator

Default The Google Doodle Red Riding Hood Comic Book For Christmas

Celebrating Grimm's Fairy Tales, today's Google Doodle is a twenty-odd "mini-page" comic book telling the story of Red Riding Hood.

Here it is in full. I think it's rather lovely.

Very Cool

Uh. Isn't it called "Red Riding Hood", not "Red Robin Hood"?

That is cool. For another very different take on Red Riding Hood see this music video:

The Real Tuesday Weld - Me & Mr. Wolf (Official Music Video) - YouTube

It is good stuff, do we know the artist? Have there been any other extended doodles, bar this and Little Nemo?

I think it's rather lovely.
    It's a little more so on Google's website, if you can still catch it, since the panels scroll horizontally and thus Red Riding Hood appears to walk from one scene into another, but yeah, 'tis very pretty.

I think that, using Scott McCloud's definition, this wouldn't qualify as 'comics' since the images are not juxtaposed. They occupy the same space, just like animation.

*feeling snooty*

Quote Originally Posted by MattMoylan View Post
    I think that, using Scott McCloud's definition, this wouldn't qualify as 'comics' since the images are not juxtaposed. They occupy the same space, just like animation.

*feeling snooty*
    I don't know about that. It's sequential artwork with the reader in control of the rate of change of panels; there's no voice over or moving parts of any individual image, and it's merely the viewing interface they've contrived that places the images into the same place.

Looks like comics to me, especially when laid out as above by Rich...

Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    I don't know about that. It's sequential artwork with the reader in control of the rate of change of panels; there's no voice over or moving parts of any individual image, and it's merely the viewing interface they've contrived that places the images into the same place.

Looks like comics to me, especially when laid out as above by Rich...
    I think 'juxtaposed' is really an important part of the definition. The Red Riding hood story is essentially textless children's picture book, which wouldn't count as a comic either.

How Rich laid it out above, yes that'd be a comic. But it's not laid out that way.

I think 'juxtaposed' is really an important part of the definition. The Red Riding hood story is essentially textless children's picture book, which wouldn't count as a comic either.

How Rich laid it out above, yes that'd be a comic. But it's not laid out that way.
    Not sure that really matters. It's just cool.

Is it sequential art, conveying a narrative through the sequence of images with the reader in control of the rate of progression of images? If yes, then in my book it's a comic.

I don't recall McCloud saying that an individual page must have more than one panel to count as comics. I reject out of hand any notion that text or dialogue is a required part of a comic, not least because by that definition magnificent works like Mister Amperduke would somehow not be considered "comics", and that is a loss for the medium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast