Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Most Surprising (In A Good Way) Comic Of 2012 - Nominations

Administrator

Default Most Surprising (In A Good Way) Comic Of 2012 - Nominations

What a lot of lovely comics we've had so far. Some, we knew were going to be fantastic. The new Grandville from Bryan Talbot, Chris Ware's Building Stories, Journey Into Mystery, Batman. But what about the comics you weren't convinced would be that good but totally surprised you. You know, in a good way?

Nominees are below... results on Christmas Day.

[polldaddy poll=6772478]

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

It's funny to see but hard to take seriously a poll that puts Chris Ware up against My Little Pony or Spider-Man. Comparing the rest to Building Stories is a case of "one of these things is not like the others"--it's better.
    die-yng likes this.

Consultant of Cool

Surprised to see SAGA and HAWKEYE getting a lot of votes so far. Neither should have surprised anybody. BKV has a string of great comics work and HAWKEYE reunites the team from the excellent THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST (sans Brubaker).
    Justin Carmona likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

The only thing that surprised me about The Walking Dead #100 was the head-spinning number of variants.
    Blade X and Mars Hottentot like this.

Exceedingly Cool

I've only read a couple of these, so I had to base my vote on that. Walking Dead 100 brought the series back to the horrible levels it should be at and less like a repetitive soap opera that happens to have zombies.

On a similar, yet opposite way, CROSSED: WYWH did the exact opposite and turned a terrible, horrible story into a pretty boring soap opera wank fest.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by richbob View Post
    Surprised to see SAGA and HAWKEYE getting a lot of votes so far. Neither should have surprised anybody. BKV has a string of great comics work and HAWKEYE reunites the team from the excellent THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST (sans Brubaker).
    i agree with you on saga but...-fear itself
    PeterWhitney likes this.

Brain K Vaughn (Saga) had immense success with Y the Last Man and Matt Fraction and David Aja (Hawkeye) had a lot of praise for Iron Fist. So given these guys previous track records at the two biggest US publishers (Marvel and DC) there is NO surprise that their current books are good.

Prophet on the other hand is written by Brandon Graham who has almost no previously published work by Marvel or DC. He is writing a book created by Rob Liefeld, a man who is considered by many to have very little talent. Prophet By Brandon Graham is AMAZING.

Prophet is by far the best new surprise book that came out this year.
    Adam, domu, not him - HIM and 3 others like this.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

It's not like I was surprised about Saga, but I wasn't surprised about any books on the list that I enjoyed and why would I vote for books that I don't even like? So I'll give my vote to Saga before crap like Before Watchmen or AVX-Consequences wins.
    Mars Hottentot likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    I am not Sting on a binge.
    Superman or Batman?
    Kat Dennings: Yeah, they are DC. I hate both of them.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

-Walt Whitman

tgr

You've tainted the poll a bit by choosing to put a pic of one of the nominees next to the poll. Never underestimate the power of suggestion.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Quote Originally Posted by uz000 View Post
    Brain K Vaughn (Saga) had immense success with Y the Last Man and Matt Fraction and David Aja (Hawkeye) had a lot of praise for Iron Fist. So given these guys previous track records at the two biggest US publishers (Marvel and DC) there is NO surprise that their current books are good.

Prophet on the other hand is written by Brandon Graham who has almost no previously published work by Marvel or DC. He is writing a book created by Rob Liefeld, a man who is considered by many to have very little talent. Prophet By Brandon Graham is AMAZING.

Prophet is by far the best new surprise book that came out this year.
    On second thought, maybe I should have voted for Prophet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    I am not Sting on a binge.
    Superman or Batman?
    Kat Dennings: Yeah, they are DC. I hate both of them.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

-Walt Whitman

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast