Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Danny Boyle Turns Down Knighthood And James Bond

Administrator

Default Danny Boyle Turns Down Knighthood And James Bond

You may be used to Sir Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Ben Kingsley, but you won't be getting Sir Danny Boyle.

The Sunday Times reports that Trainspotting director Danny Boyle was approached by Royal officials for the New Year's Honour List, after the all-bit-unanimously positive reaction to his Olympic Opening Ceremony in London this year. But he declined, stating that the event for which he was being honoured for was about the equality of the citizens of Britain and that a knighthood would make him unequal.

Brendon's update: He also told the BBC's Front Row this week that he wouldn't want to direct a James Bond film either. I think that covers both of the obvious repercussions of this Olympics short.

Consultant of Cool

He's entitled to say no to a title, but his reasoning as described makes as much sense as a chocolate teapot.

The Olympics is above all a celebration of individuals who are exceptional, they give them medals to validate the most exceptional of the exceptional athletes in a given discipline, but he can't take a medal for his exceptional success?

All for equality of opportunity, but only so that exceptional can then succeed.
    The G, Marine and Nova like this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Good. It's nice to see Boyle treat the honours system with the contempt it deserves.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Good. It's nice to see Boyle treat the honours system with the contempt it deserves.
    From the sound of it, he didn't exactly tell the Queen to get bent ... But yeah, it's always good when people turn these things down.

IMVHO, but what's everyone else's thinking? I feel it's only a matter of time personally, but if you were offered a knighthood, would you accept? Opinions welcomed from non-UK board members, who can consider themselves as British as Mick Jagger for discussion purposes.

"Knighted for services to sarcasm, Sir Steven Tudor" yeah I'd take that!

Myself I've never understood why people get so bent out of shape about them, they've always been about chums and favours for friends, but I can't see they actually change much or do any harm.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

If you are a knight, do you get some kind of fancy gear when you are sent to war? I mean, how do the rest of the troops realise you are not just a simple soldier?

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    "Knighted for services to sarcasm, Sir Steven Tudor" yeah I'd take that!

Myself I've never understood why people get so bent out of shape about them, they've always been about chums and favours for friends, but I can't see they actually change much or do any harm.
    It's the symbolism that seems a bit off; should anyone kneel to the British crown? As much as it must seem like an amusing jape. (Grant Morrison, I'm looking at you)

Arguably, honorifics feed the delusions of the already bewildered; good luck with calling Lord Sugar Alan, or even Sir Alan these days.
    Last edited by Ian Coke; 12-16-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    IMVHO, but what's everyone else's thinking? I feel it's only a matter of time personally, but if you were offered a knighthood, would you accept? Opinions welcomed from non-UK board members, who can consider themselves as British as Mick Jagger for discussion purposes.
    I would sure accept it. I don't think it has any real meaning these days, but I've always wanted to be a knight and called Sir Celestin. And I would make my own sword like Terry Pratchett did.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

From the sound of it, he didn't exactly tell the Queen to get bent ... But yeah, it's always good when people turn these things down.

It's not the Queen who decides these things, it's the government of the day. Accepting a knighthood from the honours list isn't just accepting an outmoded system of putting one person ahead of another, but it's condoning the government who put you forward for it.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

It's the symbolism that seems a bit off; should anyone kneel to the British crown? As much as it must seem like an amusing jape. (Grant Morrison, I'm looking at you)

Arguably, honorifics feed the delusions of the already bewildered; good luck with calling Lord Sugar Alan, or even Sir Alan these days.
    Morrison knew fine well that accepting his gong impresses certain types of Americans, but even that aside it was somewhat hypocritical of him accepting his honour.

Anyhow, read this piece by Benjamin Zephanaih which may be somewhat specific to the Blair government, but the entire principal is the same in that any artist in any medium suddenly becomes a mate of the establishment, and I'm sure someone as sussed as Boyle knows that which is one reason he probably knocked this on the head.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast