Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Best Comic Book Present You Can Give Children This Christmas

Administrator

Default The Best Comic Book Present You Can Give Children This Christmas

The Phoenix Weekly comic book is, basically, the best comic book ever created for children. Better than The Eagle, better then Tiger, better than early 2000AD, better thanArchie Comics, better than Adventure Time and, yes, better than My Little Pony. An anthology with a massive range of comics and comic styles, all creted by extremely talented professionals, it is comic book perfection for children. Mine love it, possibly more than they love their parents.

If you have children, or you know someone who has, and you want them to experience the full potenial of the medium. then this is it. A Phoenix grab bag and then five issues of the comic every week, for ?14.99.

It's bloody brilliant. Indeed, if you know British children who don't get The Phoenix, then it's akin to child deprevation. Get in there and make a difference.

Non-Brits can call +44 1604 251 490 for overseas subscription deals.

Brilliant idea. And I love that line, 'unlike most presents, this one lasts for five weeks'.

Very Cool

I saw this once in Waitrose but never again. Not in W H Smiths or in LCS so thought had folded. Is their distribution as poor as Strip? After the loss of the printed Dandy I would have thought they would be keen to promote the comic as much as possible.

Very Cool

I love the idea of The Pheonix and and tempted to get this for my daughter.

However...

There does seem to be a nauseating whiff of Guardian style, right on, middle class self righteousness about it.

"well of course we don't watch television but we do download scandinavion political dramas. Archie and Olivia don't watch anything but they do read The Pheonix. We're boycotting Amazon and isn't Michael Gove wretched..."

Said Polly from her place in Tuscany.

Wrote the Book on Cool

From what little I've seen of "Adventure Time," I didn't find it very funny. Maybe I'm missing something.

One comic-related gift I'm giving my son this Christmas is a stack of eight boxed Sentinel playsets from the early 90s ToyBiz line. He already has a bunch of figures, so I'm hoping this year we can do a little Night of the Sentinels diorama around the tree.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fuller View Post
    I love the idea of The Pheonix and and tempted to get this for my daughter.

However...

There does seem to be a nauseating whiff of Guardian style, right on, middle class self righteousness about it.

"well of course we don't watch television but we do download scandinavion political dramas. Archie and Olivia don't watch anything but they do read The Pheonix. We're boycotting Amazon and isn't Michael Gove wretched..."

Said Polly from her place in Tuscany.
    Maybe they can throw in some material about immigrants and house prices to keep you happy?
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chris2002 View Post
    From what little I've seen of "Adventure Time," I didn't find it very funny. Maybe I'm missing something.

One comic-related gift I'm giving my son this Christmas is a stack of eight boxed Sentinel playsets from the early 90s ToyBiz line. He already has a bunch of figures, so I'm hoping this year we can do a little Night of the Sentinels diorama around the tree.
    8 identical old toys, I'm sure he'll love the present you've obviously picked with him in mind

You definitely are missing something with Adventure Time, both my kids and all of their friends who've seen it (it's not on regular TV in the UK yet) think it's hilarious.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Does anyone how this get delivered? is it in a decent cardboard envelope or just flimsy plastic wapper?

Very Cool

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    Maybe they can throw in some material about immigrants and house prices to keep you happy?
    Ha ha! Very good. Im actually more of a permanent secretary on the move and leaked briefing man.

But back to the Pheonix - I very much want to give it a try but get the impression that it's the kind of comics that right minded patents aprove of. Which is not necessarily the most fun.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fuller View Post
    Ha ha! Very good. Im actually more of a permanent secretary on the move and leaked briefing man.

But back to the Pheonix - I very much want to give it a try but get the impression that it's the kind of comics that right minded patents aprove of. Which is not necessarily the most fun.
    well, Rich likes it, and he comes across quite left of centre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast