Patrick Dane writes for Bleeding Cool

With memories of the London Film Festival slowly falling into the back of my mind, tonight actually provided a very welcome reminder of the amount of great films that showed.

The BIFA awards took place in London, rewarding the best of British Independent Film*. Here's a full list of nominees with winners in bold.

BEST BRITISH INDEPENDENT FILMBerberian Sound StudioBrokenSightseersThe Best Exotic Marigold HotelThe Imposter

BEST DIRECTORBart Layton ? The ImposterBen Wheatley ? SightseersJohn Madden ? The Best Exotic Marigold HotelPeter Strickland ? Berberian Sound StudioRufus Norris ? Broken

THE DOUGLAS HICKOX AWARD [BEST DEBUT DIRECTOR]Bart Layton ? The ImposterBen Drew ? Ill ManorsRowan Athale ? WastelandRufus Norris ? BrokenSally El Hosaini ? My Brother the Devil

BEST SCREENPLAYAbi Morgan ? The Iron LadyAlice Lowe, Steve Oram, Amy Jump ? SightseersMark O'Rowe ? BrokenPaul Andrew Williams ? Song for MarionPeter Strickland ? Berberian Sound Studio

BEST ACTRESSAlice Lowe (Tina) ? SightseersAndrea Riseborough (Colette McVeigh) ? Shadow DancerElle Fanning (Ginger) ? Ginger & RosaJudi Dench (Evelyn Greenslade) ? The Best Exotic Marigold HotelMeryl Streep (Margaret Thatcher) ? The Iron Lady

BEST ACTORRiz Ahmed (Aaron) ? Ill ManorsSteve Oram (Chris) ? SightseersTerence Stamp (Arthur) ? Song for MarionTim Roth (Archie) ? BrokenToby Jones (Gilderoy) ? Berberian Sound Studio

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESSAlice Englert (Rosa) ? Ginger & RosaEileen Davies (Carol) ? SightseersMaggie Smith (Muriel Donnelly) ? The Best Exotic Marigold HotelOlivia Colman (Queen Elizabeth) ? Hyde Park on HudsonVanessa Redgrave (Marion) ? Song for Marion

BEST SUPPORTING ACTORBilly Connolly (Wilf) ? QuartetCillian Murphy (Mike Kiernan) ? BrokenDomhnall Gleeson (Connor) ? Shadow DancerRory Kinnear (Bob Oswald) ? BrokenTom Wilkinson (Graham Dashwood) ? The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

MOST PROMISING NEWCOMERElliott Tittensor (Tits) ? Spike IslandEloise Laurence (Skunk) ? BrokenJames Floyd (Rashid) ? My Brother the DevilPaul Brannigan (Robbie) ? The Angels' ShareZawe Ashton (Joyce Vincent) ? Dreams of a Life

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN PRODUCTIONBerberian Sound StudioIll ManorsSightseersThe ImposterThe Sweeney

BEST TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENTNic Knowland BSC? Cinematography ? Berberian Sound StudioJoakim Sundstr?m, Stevie Haywood AMPS IPS? Sound Design ? Berberian Sound StudioElectric Wave Bureau ? Music ? BrokenRobbie Ryan ? Cinematography ? Ginger & RosaAndrew Hulme ? Editing ? The Imposter

BEST DOCUMENTARYDreams of a LifeLondon: The Modern BabylonMarleyRoman Polanski: A Film MemoirThe Imposter

BEST BRITISH SHORTFridayJunkSkybornSwimmerVolume

BEST INTERNATIONAL INDEPENDENT FILMAmourBeasts of the Southern WildRust and BoneSearching For Sugar ManThe Hunt

THE RAINDANCE AWARDFrankStringsLove TomorrowCity SlackerJason Becker: Not Dead Yet

THE RICHARD HARRIS AWARD (for outstanding contribution by an actor to British Film)Sir Michael Gambon

THE VARIETY AWARDJude Law

THE SPECIAL JURY PRIZESandra Hebron - former London Film Festival director.

What I found interesting about this list is how well shared it is with nothing like a landslide.

While the sort-of Giallo sort-of thriller Berbian Sound Studio came away with the most awards, Broken took Best Picture and Sightseers netted best Screenplay.

I have seen a fair few of these films, and to not go into too much detail, I wouldn't argue with too many of the choices. However...

...the big shock for me was The Hunt coming away with the international prize. Beating out the critics' darlings Amour and Beast of the Southern Wild was no mean feat.

James Flloyd picked up a best newcomer award and that could be a nice boon to his career. I think very few would doubt his abilities after seeing him in My Brother the Devil.

British Cinema has always been a hot spot for creative talent and BIFA looked to celebrate that too. Sir Michael Gambon and Jude Law picking up celebratory awards was testament to the British cinematic legacy, both recent and less so.

It's been a fairly decent year for us Brits and BIFA was a good first setep in celebrating our 2012 achievements in film. Plus, any award show that toasts Toby Jones is good in my books.

*Brendon's note: Depends what you mean by British and Independent but I agree that they're all films. And see how good I am not editing or commenting on your Jude Law comment too, eh?