Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: JM DeMatteis To Co-Write Phantom Stranger

Administrator

Default JM DeMatteis To Co-Write Phantom Stranger

From Dan Didio's Facebook page;
    Think i mentioned this somewhere but JM DeMatteis will be joining me on the scripting of the series. It will help keep the series on schedule and with JM, deliver the quality you hope and expect for the book.
    DeMatteis, writer of Kraven's Last Hunt, Justice League International-when-it-was-brilliant, Moonshadow and Brooklyn Dreams is returning to the DC universe for his first New 52 work, though his I, Vampire character was part of its launch.

He had previously pitched a New 52 series with JLI-compatriots Keith Giffen and Kevin Maguire.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Hm, if Didio would step back and let DeMatteis take over completely, then I might actually buy this book.

And why would anybody not pick up a new book by the JLI Dreamteam?!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    I am not Sting on a binge.
    Superman or Batman?
    Kat Dennings: Yeah, they are DC. I hate both of them.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

-Walt Whitman

If he can capture the tone of, say, his Spectre series (which I rather enjoyed), then this book might be worth heading back to.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Phantom Stranger is really bad. The writing has been spectacularly awful. I thought the title's redeeming quality would be Brent Anderson's art, but in the latest issue, even the artwork looks like it's been drawn by Anderson with his left foot.
    I suppose that bringing in DeMatteis can only improve the book, but not sure that will make me buy it again (yes, I picked up the first three issues because i've always liked Phantom Stranger pre-New52).

Dean of Cool University FilmBuffRich's Avatar

He had previously pitched a New 52 series with JLI-compatriots Keith Giffen and Kevin Maguire.
    What series was that?

Wrote the Book on Cool Somebody's Avatar

This isn't great news - JMDM is certainly more competent than DiDio, but any time he gets near a "mystical" series the lead gloves come out. He's far better on "everyday" or comedy series.

Quote Originally Posted by FilmBuffRich View Post
    What series was that?
    New Gods, I think Rich said.

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
    New Gods, I think Rich said.
    Then I'm glad he didn't get it. I've seen enough DeMatteis re-treads of the same story (usually involving a Chosen One and/or a child messiah) to want to see him driving the Fourth World.

It's been my experience that there are two JMDMs. One is a decent writer with a neat sense of humor, the other tells tired metaphysical stories. I fear this will be the latter.

Mario Di Giacomo

Exceedingly Cool
    The deepest pits of Hel, somewhere in southern germany

Quote Originally Posted by bewareofgeek View Post
    Then I'm glad he didn't get it. I've seen enough DeMatteis re-treads of the same story (usually involving a Chosen One and/or a child messiah) to want to see him driving the Fourth World.

It's been my experience that there are two JMDMs. One is a decent writer with a neat sense of humor, the other tells tired metaphysical stories. I fear this will be the latter.
    When he would be working with Giffen and Maguire, I don't think we would have seen those kind of stories, but I'm not sure I would enjoy a bwahahahaha version of New Gods.

According to his Facebook page, Jim Starlin is now writing a New 52 book as well. Forget the 90s. We're in 1988, baby.
    Last edited by not him - HIM; 12-09-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    MicroZone likes this.

Didio is still plotting, but DeMatteis seems perfect for the character. I really like the book, I like the Stranger's missions and his family life. It's really good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast