Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Batgirl Gets A Fill-In Writer For February And March

Administrator

Default Batgirl Gets A Fill-In Writer For February And March

DC have released a number of March solicitations so far, but we are missing the Batman and the Dark groups. They may be delayed because there are... let's go with "issues"...?* to sort out.

For instance I understand that Batgirl #17 and #18 won't be written by Gail Simone. This specifically isn't an indication that Gail is off the book, I have been explicitly told that this is a fill-in writer situation.

With Gail Simone's workload at DC reduced lately after Firestorm, it does point to problems at the company with their creator/editorial relations.

Issue 17 has already been solicited of course, for February. This is the original solicitation;
    BATGIRL #17Written by GAIL SIMONEArt by ED BENESCover by JUAN JOSE RYPOn sale FEBRUARY 13 ? 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US ? RATED T? Barbara Gordon must deal with the fallout from ?DEATH OF THE FAMILY? in this issue that will forever change her status quo in The New 52!? What does James Gordon Jr. have planned for his sister, Batgirl?
    But this just one of a number of high profile similar situations I have been hearing about at DC Comics this past week.

More to come...

Just in time for my birthday! Wishes DO come true!
    Arnoldoaad likes this.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    [/INDENT]But this just one of a number of high profile similar situations I have been hearing about at DC Comics this past week.
    More to come...
    I'd start to bring up how this is endemic to the entirety of the DCNu era but that just leads to headaches, so I'll pass. Let's see what else comes out. I'd love to see Simone back at Marvel someday soon though.
    TGC likes this.

TGC

Maybe it's time she tried her hand at Marvel again. Or maybe her own thing at Image?

And me and Matt D have the same thought at the same moment.

Higgins just took two issues off Nightwing and it wasn't endemic of anything. I presume this is where the rumor of her leaving came from, just like Rich used to (and maybe still does?) report fill-in artists as creative changes. Sounds more like trying to cover for a bad lead than a sign of anything in particular.

Exceedingly Cool

Flash also has a guest artist, with Manapul listed only as Cover Artist (and not co-writer with Buccellato).
    However for Birds of Prey #18, DC announced the new writer with an interview.

VP in Charge of Cool

Rich drumming up the whole Rome is burning (at DC) hoopla again

But then what do I know... maybe it is.....
    MicroZone likes this.

Cool

Hey Joe, over on her twitter page this morning, Gail S. discloses this was the worst week ever (capping off a week of comics-related tomfoolery posts). I'd guess something is/was definitely up, but Batgirl and Simone seem back on track.

GailSimone ‏@GailSimone
    I had the worst work week ever, honestly. Thankfully, lots of friends and colleagues reminded me how great this job is. THANKS, GUYS!

I have to say Nu52 Batgirl has not knocked me off my socks, and most of BGs villains have been a bit dark, but my main issue with the book is that I liked Babs better as Oracle. This Barbara is not as inventive as Oracle. Every superhero goes for the physical smack-down, Oracle used her brain, technology, and usually came out ahead. I loved the superhero who thought her way to victory. Still, I'd smile to see Killer Moth show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Higgins just took two issues off Nightwing and it wasn't endemic of anything. I presume this is where the rumor of her leaving came from, just like Rich used to (and maybe still does?) report fill-in artists as creative changes. Sounds more like trying to cover for a bad lead than a sign of anything in particular.

If she's not leaving the book (and I'm pretty sure Simone shot down that rumor via twitter), it seems reasonable to assume she needed some time off to finish her creator-owned Kickstarter project with Jim Calafiore. I'd honestly prefer that to Batgirl at this point -- LEAVING MEGALOPOLIS sounds like a great concept.
    Mars Hottentot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Barbara Gordon must deal with the fallout from 'DEATH OF THE FAMILY' in this issue that will forever change her status quo in The New 52! What does James Gordon Jr. have planned for his sister, Batgirl?

So... outed as Batgirl? Outed to her Dad? Back in the chair...?

Got to admit, I'm curious...

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast