Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BC Blog Poster
  • 1 Post By SDulaney
  • 1 Post By Peter J Poole

Thread: The Original Batmobile Goes Up For Auction

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default The Original Batmobile Goes Up For Auction

Patrick Dane writes for Bleeding Cool

Every once in a while we tease you with incredible geeky things that you will in no way be able to afford. Just like children outside of a sweet shop, you torture yourself with what you can't have.

So here is another, thanks toThe History Blog (via Crackajack).

You, yes you, could be the proud owner of the actual, real original Batmobile.

That's right, you could be driving around just like Adam Westdid in the 1960s - and we don't mean drunk.

The car is being sold by "legendary carcustomizer" George Barris at theBarrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale, Arizona on January 19th. While there is no indicator of estimated price or a minimum reserve, I am pretty sure that this is going to go for a ton of money.

But if you did shell out, you wouldn't just be getting the Batmobile but also all the Bataccoutrements that come with it.
    The car features a 390-in 1956 Lincoln V-8 engine and a B&M Hydro Automatic transmission. Gadgets include a nose-mounted aluminum Cable Cutter Blade, Bat Ray Projector, Anti-Theft Device, Detect-a-scope, Batscope, Bat Eye Switch, Antenna Activator, Police Band Cut-In Switch, Automatic Tire Inflation Device, Remote Batcomputer, the Batphone, Emergency Bat Turn Lever, Anti-Fire Activator, Bat Smoke, Bat Photoscope, and many other Bat gadgets. If needed, the Batmobile was capable of a quick 180? ?bat-turn? thanks to two rear-mounted ten-foot Deist parachutes.
    Just put it on my Bat Credit card.

This is all timed very well as tomorrow you will be getting a first hand report on precisely what it's like to enjoy the comforts of a Batmobile from yours truly.

Are you already starting to feel jealous? Because you should be.
    spacedog likes this.

Very Cool

Maybe it's a good good thing I didn't win the Powerball jackpot after all.
    Comedian likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool Comedian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SDulaney View Post
    Maybe it's a good good thing I didn't win the Powerball jackpot after all.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would have blown a chunk of it on this...

Bleeding Cool

Give me now lol.....

...Waitaminit. Is this the *original* Batmobile #1? The one that was modified from the 1955 Ford Futura? Or is this the #2 model, which IIRC was also installed with the same Lincoln V-8 as the Futura? I suspect a quick inspection of either the inside of the firewall - which reportedly had a plate screwed in next to the alternator identifying the car as property of Ford's R&D Division - or looking for some subtle cracks on the back fins resulting from the putty used to beef up the bat-styings have dried over the near-half century since the Futura was bought for a dollar and rushed into production in time to meet the TV pilot's November shoot date three weeks later.

Either way, what the frack happened to Barris' decades of vows that when he passed on, he was going to be buried sitting behind the wheel?

Jeez, you wait years for a Batmobile and then they all come along at once...

1966 Chevrolet "Batmobile" Recreation and Original 1966 Yamaha "Batcycle"

Cheers
    _OM_ likes this.

A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.

I've got to get me one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    Jeez, you wait years for a Batmobile and then they all come along at once...

1966 Chevrolet "Batmobile" Recreation and Original 1966 Yamaha "Batcycle"
    ...Yeah, I came across that one right before last month's Turkey Genocide Day, and were it not for the pain in my lower jaw from having those three teeth extracted a few days earlier, said jaw would have hit the ground *hard*. I've seen recreations both by Batmobile enthusiasts and custom car design shops, but this one has to be on top of the list insofar as looking the best. Granted, there's been some discussion on other forums about the accuracy of this replica - someone who's seen it in person claims it's mounted on a chassis whose wheel base is about 2" longer than the Futura's, while several others have bitched to the point of getting three-day forum vacations over a flamefest as to whether including the complete four-part bubbletop so you can actually drive the damn thing in inclement weather violates the accuracy integrity - but the fact that it looks more pristine than even the original Futura Batmobile did when Barris first displayed it for the press *and* it's street legal means that you'd be buying yourself a mode of transportation whose only shortcoming is that despite being the Ultimate Mate Attractor, there's no back seat for you and your "Robin" to hop back into!