Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Would You Have Bought Gail Simone's Deathstroke?

Administrator

Default Would You Have Bought Gail Simone's Deathstroke?

As we were preparing yesterday's story concerning rumours Gail Simone leaving Batgirl, and other DC creative changes, Gail was fueling them on Twitter. Such as this conversation.
    Deathstroke is a nerd.

? GailSimone (@GailSimone) November 30, 2012
    @gailsimone DEATHSTROKE IS AWESOME. ? Vinny Piccolo (@RoseTintedVisor) November 30, 2012
    @rosetintedvisor He's nerdy.

@gailsimone isnt he great tho?

? Vinny Piccolo (@RoseTintedVisor) November 30, 2012
    @rosetintedvisor Yep, I was supposed to take over his book until a couple weeks ago.

Gail is often painted as a pastel-shaded, whimsical writer, a family-friendly creator who likes to go for the joke rather than the jugular. A female version of Peter David - or rather the way Peter David is also portrayed. But it's not true of either of them. Gail has some seriously hardcore books under her sleeves from Rose And Thorn to plenty of Secret Six and much of her work is not for the faint of heart. Hell, I've recommended that Avatar approach her for Crossed when her DC contract is up (which is, like, any day now). Deathstroke might have been a step in that direction.

The tweet does also speak to the general headless chicken running around in parts of DC editorial, with decisions made and approved, then suddenly reversed.

It also begs the question, if not Deathstroke, then what? And has anyone told current Deathstroke writer, Justin Jordan?

Way Cool

I wouldn't buy Deathstroke if *I* were writing it. Stupid horrible character from the get-go!

Of course I would buy it.

I think Gail is about the only writer who could tempt me to buy a Deathstroke book. Villains are her forte.

Agent X was supposedly Deadpool and Deadpool was really Deathstroke, so she's kind of been there already.
    twincast and saidestroyer like this.

Captain Cool

She really does do a great job writing compelling villain protagnoists. I've never honestly given a crap about Deathstroke, but before Secret Six, I never gave a crap about Ragdoll or Catman, for example. Not a big fan of Batgirl, though.

However, I would tap that 1,000 times.

Talkin about Deathstroke, of course.

No, not because of Gail. But because 1. I can't afford any additional comics right now and 2. I don't like the majority of the NEW 52. Right now I'm down to Nightwing, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Firestorm, and Flash. Mainly because of character loyalty. Though technically speaking they are not the same characters I fell in love with. I became a fan of those characters during the Post Crisis period. And as soon as Grant Morrisson leaves Action comics I'm gone to.
    Last edited by Zevad; 12-01-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    Agent X was supposedly Deadpool and Deadpool was really Deathstroke, so she's kind of been there already.
    That's kinda like saying since Rob Liefeld created & wrote Deadpool, then he'd already written Deathstroke before he took over that book. Since I didn't read it, I won't say that's not the same thing. I'll leave it to those who DID to say that.

Zen Master of Cool Charles Skaggs's Avatar

As Marv Wolfman proved way back in the day with "The Judas Contract," among others, Deathstroke can be a great character when written by people that have a solid grasp of him. When Deathstroke is more interesting on a TV series than he is in the comics, you know there's a serious disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNate View Post
    However, I would tap that 1,000 times.

Talkin about Deathstroke, of course.
    Sure. "Deathstroke".

Be warned: even alluding to that with Slade may get you fired as the director of the next Guardians Of The Galaxy movie.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast