Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: James Gunn Apologises For Controversial Blog Post, Describes It As "Poorly Worded And Offensive To Many"

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default James Gunn Apologises For Controversial Blog Post, Describes It As "Poorly Worded And Offensive To Many"

Guardians of The Galaxy writer-director James Gunn has issued a statement regarding the recent controversy over a blog post on his site, in which he made a number of comments that many, myself included, considered offensive to both women and the LGBT community.

Gunn acknowledges, in retrospect, that while his intentions may have been humorous or satirical, this did not come across in the writing and he understands why so many were outraged by it.

Gunn has since removed the blog post from his website. In response to an outreach by theGay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, he sent the organisation a statement apologising for the blog post and any offence it had caused.
    A couple of years ago I wrote a blog that was meant to be satirical and funny. In rereading it over the past day I don't think it's funny. The attempted humor in the blog does not represent my actual feelings. However, I can see where statements were poorly worded and offensive to many. I'm sorry and regret making them at all.

People who are familiar with me as evidenced by my Facebook page and other mediums know that I'm an outspoken proponent for the rights of the gay and lesbian community, women and anyone who feels disenfranchised, and it kills me that some other outsider like myself, despite his or her gender or sexuality, might feel hurt or attacked by something I said. We're all in the same camp, and I want to do my best to make this world a better place for all of us. I'm learning all the time. I promise to be more careful with my words in the future. And I will do my best to be funnier as well. Much love to all.

VP in Charge of Cool Captain Comet's Avatar

Apology accepted.
    Rootfireember likes this.

Sorry you felt pressured by unfunny people to retcon-censor yourself.

(Still loved your bit in "Citizen Toxie" though.)

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MinkyUrungus View Post
    Sorry you felt pressured by unfunny people to retcon-censor yourself.
    This is true. Gunn sort of has a history of caving to political correctness.
    James Gunn's The Beezel Emails | JamesGunn.com - Official Website for James Gunn
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

For gawd sake where are the balls dammit! I want my men to have--whoa, whoa. Woops, almost...

We both should have said nothing

Man
    Wrote the Book on Cool

Disney has a short leash

Wrote the Book on Cool AdorkableGrrl's Avatar

Well reported, Hannah. =)
    Mad_Man_Moon and _OM_ like this.

Dean of Cool University EmperorCheese's Avatar

Nice.
    James Gunn hacking off his balls allows him to participate in a devil's three way without the fear of clashing into another man's testes.
    Unless he's with Steven Tyler, cause then there wouldn't be any present.

Wrote the Book on Cool JSayonara's Avatar

Always nice to see a vocal minority win a victory over something that doesn't matter one fucking bit.

Next week, someone made a joke about Robin the Boy Wonder being adopted by Bruce Wayne.

Quick, to the Bat-outrage pole.

Consultant of Cool

Is it really so hard to believe that a writer, who many of you have defended as a proponent of LGBT principles and women's rights, genuinely regrets something that he considers to be poorly written, and understands why people were offended by it? This apology reads pretty sincerely to me. Yet most comments so far are along the lines of James Gunn giving up his principles because Disney told him to, or because the internet told him to.

Considering you're supposedly the guys defending Gunn, you don't seem to have a lot of respect for him.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast