Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JokerWhiskeyEcho

Thread: Video: Jack Reacher Author Lee Child Defends The Casting Of Tom Cruise

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Video: Jack Reacher Author Lee Child Defends The Casting Of Tom Cruise

Patrick Dane writes for Bleeding Cool.

There is something a touch odd about this promotional video for Jack Reacher. By and large it's a pretty bog standard featurette, describing a little bit about the character Jack Reacher and who he is, all explained by Lee Child, the novellist who created the character.

And then, there's the last little bit at the end.

Some one has cut in a clip of Child from a different interview on CBS saying that Tom Cruise makes a great Jack Reacher. They really wanted this justification in there, obviously - but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Check it out.

Thanks toYahoo!for that clip.

Fans of the book were up in arms because Cruise was an awful lot smaller than Reacher as written - a hulk of a man, huge and powerful.

But at this point, most of us know what we expect from Cruise and this seems right up his alley, no matter how big or small the character was on the page.

I've never hated Cruise for some of his odder pursuits and, to me, he seems to fit into this picture just fine.

Wrote the Book on Cool Mars Hottentot's Avatar

Lee Child: "Hey guys, okay, okay - yeah, he's not how I envisioned him, either, but who is? You want Brock Lesner? C'mon, just go see the damn movie - I wanna get some sequel bucks, for fuck sake."

Wrote the Book on Cool

Cruise DOES have that same level of absolute and unwavering quiet confidence...

Cool

It would be great if Lee Child could actually spend time promoting the movie instead of defending a choice in actors he had nothing to do with. It would be even better if people who were complaining about it would get off the high horse for a minute and actually watch the trailers, because the movie looks really good.

As a Child / Reacher fan, I'll be the first to admit that my eyebrows went sky high when Cruise was cast, but I look at it this way: 1) Even though I don't necessarily care for him, Cruise rarely makes bad movies (yes, yes, I can see piles of commentary coming from that statement alone, but stay with me here); 2) Cruise wanted the project, because he actually likes the character, and was the first to admit he wasn't the same physical type as Reacher; 3) we might never have had a Reacher movie without the backing of someone like Cruise.

And if Child is okay with it (and the sh*tload of money that he's getting from the project), who are we to begrudge him?
    toodoor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerWhiskeyEcho View Post
    It would be great if Lee Child could actually spend time promoting the movie instead of defending a choice in actors he had nothing to do with. It would be even better if people who were complaining about it would get off the high horse for a minute and actually watch the trailers, because the movie looks really good.

As a Child / Reacher fan, I'll be the first to admit that my eyebrows went sky high when Cruise was cast, but I look at it this way: 1) Even though I don't necessarily care for him, Cruise rarely makes bad movies (yes, yes, I can see piles of commentary coming from that statement alone, but stay with me here); 2) Cruise wanted the project, because he actually likes the character, and was the first to admit he wasn't the same physical type as Reacher; 3) we might never have had a Reacher movie without the backing of someone like Cruise.

And if Child is okay with it (and the sh*tload of money that he's getting from the project), who are we to begrudge him?
    That was a well thought out post. I started to freak out then I spotted you've only got 2 posts. We'll soon have you broken in!
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    That was a well thought out post. I started to freak out then I spotted you've only got 2 posts. We'll soon have you broken in!
    Longtime reader, but decided to start posting today. I'll try to keep it less civil-minded and more inflammatory in the future.