Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Two Hundred Thousand Copies Of An Eight Dollar Comic

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Satandy View Post
    I'm bummed about this. I picked up 598 cause of the hype and I liked it, but with Spiderman at $4 an issue coming out so often and now issue 700 is that much? Sounds like an interesting story but count me out.
    Well, considering you're over 100 issues out of the loop maybe it's better to stay out
    DarthEwok likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    Whatever his contract says.
    Fortunately for Ditko he was known for having included extremely good clauses for variant cover incentives, because we all know how they were all the rage back in the 60's.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    Just curious, given the use of a Steve Ditko variant to boost sales, how much money will Ditko be seeing from this comic?

Wacker? Surely you'll be along with a smart remark, mocking the notion of compensating the people whose work your career coasts on? Or is this a subject too hot for you to touch, for fear of offending your masters? Shame, you're so bold on message boards otherwise.
    seeing as it's the original cover to amazing fantasy #15(stan rejected it in favor of Kirby's now iconic version), he already got paid. in 1962. he may only get a little it in royalties.
    zero cool likes this.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    Fortunately for Ditko he was known for having included extremely good clauses for variant cover incentives, because we all know how they were all the rage back in the 60's.
    Im not quite sure how his contract works. Does he get royalties for only varaint copies sold or does he get royalties for xxxxxxx of regular covers sold. If its the former thats not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    People said the same thing back in the 90's when X-MEN #1,SPIDER-MAN #1,and X-FORCE #1 all sold over a million copies to retailers and made (all combined) millions of dollars for Marvel. Of course, we all know how that all turned out for the industry.
    Yep, killed it completely.

I miss comics. If only someone still published them...

Cheers
    toodoor and Comicsfan101 like this.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    Yep, killed it completely.

I miss comics. If only someone still published them...

Cheers
    It put a shit-ton of retailers out of business, actually - well, the polybagging initiative combined with variants and other generally greedy practices, but this is something that did actually happen.
    Blade X likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skullduggery View Post
    A lot of retailers are going to be stuck with a lot of unsold copies. And if people would stop paying excessive prices for the variants, then all those unsold copies would hurt even more.

I can't think of any other retail market that operates this way (sellers over-buying items they know they won't sell because they can maybe break even with some incentive item). It is really crazy.
    Keyword 'if'.

And if a retailer has a buyer lined up who will pay top dollar, this becomes money in the bank. Depending on what kind of discounted rate they buy at per unit and how much the variant is guaranteed to go for.

Also, it's not 'can maybe break even'. It's 'can make a profit'.

Yes, it's a calculated risk. So was opening a comic shop to begin with.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Hdefined View Post
    It put a shit-ton of retailers out of business, actually - well, the polybagging initiative combined with variants and other generally greedy practices, but this is something that did actually happen.
    I know. I was there at the dawn of the variant age...

Thing is, that was based on retailers buying multiple copies at normal price and expecting a majority of their customers to buy all covers.

This is a different model. And hopefully retailers are smarter in light of what happened then.

Cheers
    toodoor and Comicsfan101 like this.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    I know. I was there at the dawn of the variant age...

Thing is, that was based on retailers buying multiple copies at normal price and expecting a majority of their customers to buy all covers.

This is a different model. And hopefully retailers are smarter in light of what happened then.

Cheers
    I agree with your sentiment that the responsibility lies with the retailers, but Marvel's variant policies sure don't make it easy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    I have to agree with toodoor here.
    It's generally the only sensible option!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast