Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By thekamisama
  • 1 Post By thekamisama
  • 1 Post By Mike H.

Thread: From Cerebus To Chew To Strangers In Paradise To Rog-2000, All The Mars Attacks #1 Incentive Covers

Administrator

Default From Cerebus To Chew To Strangers In Paradise To Rog-2000, All The Mars Attacks #1 Incentive Covers

I'm not sure what is more unexpected, Terry Moore's Strangers In Paradise or John Byrne's Rog-2000. But here are all the incentive covers for the five issue Mars Attacks series from IDW shipping in January, two per issue. The back covers of the regular covers have card text like an old Mars Attacks card, too.. Popeye, Kiss, Real Ghostbusters, Transformers and Zombies vs Robots are the "real" ones...

Am I missing the appeal to this? If I like Transformers or Popeye or Kiss, why would I want a cover to their comic showing another character?
    DJ_Convoy likes this.
    Surgeon General Warning! Sigs are bad for your health!

Quote Originally Posted by thekamisama View Post
    Am I missing the appeal to this? If I like Transformers or Popeye or Kiss, why would I want a cover to their comic showing another character?
    Because if you *don't* like Transformers or Popeye or Kiss, you might like Strangers in Paradise, Rog 2000 and Opus from Bloom County -- all illustrated by their original creators. I'll be picking up these books for the latter reason alone.

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

No love for STAR SLAMMERS?

Mario Di Giacomo

Bleeding Cool

Lol thats pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by bewareofgeek View Post
    No love for STAR SLAMMERS?
    Isn't that what you're providing right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Because if you *don't* like Transformers or Popeye or Kiss, you might like Strangers in Paradise, Rog 2000 and Opus from Bloom County -- all illustrated by their original creators. I'll be picking up these books for the latter reason alone.
    If I wanted a pro doing fan art for an inflated price that a retailer will charge for "limited" covers, I'd just get a commission or sketch at a con. It probably will be cheaper than getting all these covers. Of course I also don't understand why fans of comics, a storytelling medium, get so worked up over what is basically a pinup that tells no story wrapped around a book that also not tell the story of the beloved characters they admire inside either?
    Hi_HorseLarnick likes this.
    Surgeon General Warning! Sigs are bad for your health!

Quote Originally Posted by thekamisama View Post
    If I wanted a pro doing fan art for an inflated price that a retailer will charge for "limited" covers, I'd just get a commission or sketch at a con. It probably will be cheaper than getting all these covers. Of course I also don't understand why fans of comics, a storytelling medium, get so worked up over what is basically a pinup that tells no story wrapped around a book that also not tell the story of the beloved characters they admire inside either?
    Well, speaking just for myself, I have no intention of getting all these covers. I'll just be picking up the ones that I want. As for why I'm looking forward to the covers, it's a matter of nostalgia in some ways and "taking what I can get" in others. Terry Moore isn't drawing SiP anymore, John Byrne hasn't done anything with Rog 2000 in years, Simon Bisley hasn't done a regular Judge Dredd gig in over a decade at least and Berke Breathed isn't doing any new comic strips with Opus any time soon, either (as far as I'm aware). And sure, maybe I could afford a sketch at a con here or there, but I darn sure wouldn't be able to afford an original painting by Bisley or Breathed. If I can get a cover with a new piece of painted artwork by these guys for a few bucks and keep my local retailer in business, I'd say that's a win-win.

Now I'm curious: why does this seem to be irritating you so much? Are you looking forward to the crossover at all?
    Hi_HorseLarnick likes this.