Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Frank Quitely\'s Character Sketches For Jupiter\'s Children With Mark Millar

Administrator

Default Frank Quitely\'s Character Sketches For Jupiter\'s Children With Mark Millar

It may not have been the a big preview (and "early next year" for the first issue may be a little optimistic) but Hollywood Reporter has run a series of sketches by Frank Quitely for the upcoming Jupiter's Children series with Mark Millar from Image Comics, a number of which we haven't seen before - or Millar's character descriptions that accompany them, below... no names of powers yet though.

The Duo

"These guys are the kids of the old couple. They're both in their twenties and completely live in the shadows of their perfect parents. I like the idea of exploring what it would be like to grow up as the kids of the two most famous and beloved people on the planet. This side of things has a very Postcards From The Edge feel and there's enormous tension between them all"

The Man in the Parka and The Lady In Red

Brother and sister wannabees... "They'll do anything to get on the cover of the magazines and only too happy to spread rumours and cause trouble as rumblings in the community start to spread,"

The Oldest Living Superhero<

"He's had his powers since he discovered a mysterious island back in the Great Depression, but he's a curiosity now. His altruistic ideals, like his costume, are just out of synch with all the young heroes."

Eagle-crested super-heroine

"The old hero's wife and they've had this perfect marriage for almost 80 years.They're the last two superheroes with secret identities. They're old school and we love them for it, but they don't understand their children."

The Hero's Brother

"He isn't as strong or as handsome as his famous sibling and lacks charisma, but he's thoughtful and very aware of his legacy as he hits old age. He's looking around at the financial crash and wondering if he can help in ways other than rescuing kittens from trees and all those nice things superheroes do."

The Cool Guy

"This guy is our Han Solo. He's the son of the biggest super-villain in the world and running drugs in from off-world. Incredibly funny, cool and likeable and, to make things quite complicated, in a secret relationship with the daughter of the world's greatest hero."

I worry about the hyperbole that Millar uses (his Star Wars? LOTR? - gives me the feeling he's still thinking movies) but not about Quitely's art. Sexy.

Will Millar deliver story? Maybe!

Potential to be a great elseworlds tale of Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superboy, Wonder Girl and John Constantine

Just before Twilight hits...

May be forced to give this a go. Please don't let me down, Mr. Millar!
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Bleeding Cool

Hmmm. Curious. Looks like another Supreme/Superman/Twilight/Kingdom Come story with the DC-like heroes. But, I do love me some Quitely like no other. Hmmmmmmm.
    Traveling.

Love it. Can't wait.
    He is the Star Lord. Respect him!

I might check this out but you better believe I'm tradewaiting. Between Millar's occasional tendency to let one project drop off the face of the planet so he can do something else and Frank Quitely's sedate pace there's no way this is going to be monthly. Visually at least I'm certain it'll be worth a look, but Millar's recent work has, for me, been far more miss than hit so I'm wary about whether he'll deliver something worth reading.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Why is Quitely wasting his art on this hack?

Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    I might check this out but you better believe I'm tradewaiting.
    Fingers crossed that you actually have a trade to wait for. Could be War Heroes all over again.

Bleeding Cool

Totally. I bought the first issue of All-Star Superman when it came out. After that, I just waited a year or so until the Absolute edition was published and got that baby. The Absolute editions were MADE for artwork like Frank Quitely's gorgeous stuff.

We3 still guts me every time.
    Traveling.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Comet View Post
    Why is Quitely wasting his art on this hack?
    The Authority.

That is all.
    Fysh, Davidb5x, abcdiablo and 1 others like this.
    Traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    Fingers crossed that you actually have a trade to wait for. Could be War Heroes all over again.
    Yeah, that's why I'm not spending a penny on it up front. I love the hell out of Quitely's art, but if Millar decides to park it because the film deal stalls and/or he finds some other more interesting project to chase after in the meantime, I don't want to have contributed to the mechanism that effectively rewards him for doing so. Plus waiting on reviews allows me to find out whether it's Ultimates/Red Son/Chosen Millar or Kick-Ass/Nemesis Millar...
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast