Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Fanboy Rampage: Jennifer de Guzman Vs Dirk Manning

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Most surprising is that 1. Newsarama is still around and 2. That Image employs anyone in PR and marketing.
    Newsrama breaks most or all comic news .

downlikecharlie

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Indeed, people seem to be ignoring the "slutty attire" portion of the picture. The example picture Ms. Guzman posts of herself certainly doesn't show her in that type of dress. Unless she's posted other pictures in more revealing clothing, in which case I demand to see the evidence before making further judgment.
    Calling a woman a whore because of the clothes she wears is an awesome example of sexism.

Exactly, Joe. In the context of Dirk's statement, especially if she did a picture in "slutty attire" and posted it as an advertisement to increase interest in Image, people far too often use 'slut' and 'whore' interchangably.

downlikecharlie

Idiot Nerd Girl | Know Your Meme

Just for clarification, and not because it's at all important to the comments so far, but the meme posted is not a picture of Guzman.

Bleeding Cool

What do you call woman who wears barely nothing in public nowdays? A nudist? Is that PC?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by downlikecharlie View Post
    Either you don't understand how absolutely horrid blackface is, or you are really taking the geek/nerd title way too seriously. I don't understand why people feel so protective of that description that they feel so offended when someone else uses the descriptor without showing proper proof. I think you need to calm down.
    I've discussed this with fellow nerds, not to mention a goth, and we all agree that there are people who have truly suffered for being these things - being social outcasts, bullied, and generally misunderstood. For someone to come in and casually adopt a title that others have suffered for can be reasonably offensive to that group.

When some hot chick who never had a hard time getting a date calls herself a "nerd," it indicates that, at the very least, her definition of "nerd" is far different from mine.
    Rootfireember likes this.

downlikecharlie

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    What do you call woman who wears barely nothing in public nowdays? A nudist? Is that PC?
    A "woman who wears barely nothing" would be a woman with lots of clothes on, so I would call her a woman wearing layers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    Until someone decides that that term is offensive as well

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Simpson View Post
    I've discussed this with fellow nerds, not to mention a goth, and we all agree that there are people who have truly suffered for being these things - being social outcasts, bullied, and generally misunderstood. For someone to come in and casually adopt a title that others have suffered for can be reasonably offensive to that group.

When some hot chick who never had a hard time getting a date calls herself a "nerd," it indicates that, at the very least, her definition of "nerd" is far different from mine.
    If you asked me to name off the issues important to me, it would take about a week for me to get to "faux nerds," but I guess I can kind of see it as a reaction to an outcast finding the things that made him so unpopular were now not only normal, but chic.

downlikecharlie

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    If you asked me to name off the issues important to me, it would take about a week for me to get to "faux nerds," but I guess I can kind of see it as a reaction to an outcast finding the things that made him so unpopular were now not only normal, but chic.
    That makes sense and I've felt that, but I would call that 'frustration' and not being personally offended.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast