Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Fanboy Rampage: Jennifer de Guzman Vs Dirk Manning

Dean of Cool University Stefan Offenberg's Avatar

Dirk Manning is not a comedian. There's a reason why they say "Don't try this at home, kids."

downlikecharlie

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Comet View Post
    I've been to a few sorrority parties where they do nerd themes and it is a little offensive seeing girls who are clueless about our subculture wearing oversized glasses shouting "OMG, I'm so nerdy!". The chicks the Ted thing is referencing dont care about comics. To me it's the comic book fandom version of blackface. Really offensive and degrading. This chick needs to calm down.
    Either you don't understand how absolutely horrid blackface is, or you are really taking the geek/nerd title way too seriously. I don't understand why people feel so protective of that description that they feel so offended when someone else uses the descriptor without showing proper proof. I think you need to calm down.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    Dirk Manning is not a comedian. There's a reason why they say "Don't try this at home, kids."
    Maybe he thinks he is. What the qualfications to be comedian? To make people laugh right? I promise you , somone laugh at his meme

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    Maybe he thinks he is. What the qualfications to be comedian? To make people laugh right? I promise you , somone laugh at his meme
    I laughed, as with most jokes, over the wording. "Whore who found glasses" is funny, whereas "whore with glasses" isn't so much. I suspect if you actually agree with the sentiment you wouldn't think it was a joke or funny. But then, I spend an inordinent amount of time considering why I think certain things are funny.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    "It's just a joke." Is not a valid rebuttal. The reason this is a "big deal" is because there is a long history of sexism. Jennifer pointed out that the meme is sexist. Dirk made a sexist meme. End of story.

Oh, and by the way, to all of you "nerds, dorks, and geeks" on this message board-- I think you need to remember what positions of power mean in the context of these conversations. Do I identify as a "nerd, dork or geek"? Yes I do and I think I "fit the part" too. But what if I was someone with a lot more status and power? Would it be so cool to make jokes at your expense? This reminds me of the time when I heard a US congressman ask, "can we get a nerd to explain this" when it came to describing some very important technology legislation (I think it was SOPA).

My point is that "it's just a joke." Hahahaha, dork.
    except Dirk didn't make the meme, not sure where the heck you got that from.

Dirk posts memes and other things to his facebook feed all the time.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Most surprising is that 1. Newsarama is still around and 2. That Image employs anyone in PR and marketing.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    I find him funnier than someone person on a message board insulting him.

He posted a meme, someone got angry at the meme and he respectfully debated with that person for far longer than he probably should have. The end.

And you're correct, Dirk specializes in the horror side of things but trust me when I say as a fan of the man's work...he understands and can write humor extremely well.
    Stevaux The LEsser likes this.

A. Can someone from Webster's publish a complete list of words banned from the English langauge from any use by political correctness and then, the ones that are allowed to be used for making a satire or parody?

B. The person who reads 'whores' and only sees 'ALL WOMEN' despite a clear explanation of which women Mr. Manning was specifically refering to has a far greater problem than Mr. Manning.

C. If Ms. Guzman posted pictures of herself with glasses in the attire Dirk was describing, I could see her being offended, but I suspect she did not and, thus, clearly wasn't anthing like the 'whores' he was referring to.

D. Really, when people strive this hard to be that offended by a word, maybe we need to just shut down 'social media' entirely and just go back to snail mail and telephones.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Most surprising is that 1. Newsarama is still around and 2. That Image employs anyone in PR and marketing.
    Which is funny as most creators connected to image handle their own pr as much as possible.

Dean of Cool University EmperorCheese's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    "It's just a joke." Is not a valid rebuttal. The reason this is a "big deal" is because there is a long history of sexism. Jennifer pointed out that the meme is sexist. Dirk made a sexist meme. End of story.
    Exactly.
    We should always judge somebody by their attempted comedic words rather than their actual actions to the aggrieved party.
    QCCBob likes this.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast