Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Fanboy Rampage: Ethan Van Sciver Vs Rob Liefeld

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Van Sciver View Post
    I fought hard for my side, lost, and then graciously conceded and congratulated my friends whose guy won. "Hold your heads up and lose like winners," I said to my Republican friends. This pissed Rob Liefeld off. Hm.

Anyhow, congratulations to Obama supporters on BleedingCool. I'm looking forward to a second chance, and making this term a success.

EVS
    Gracious and tactful.

That said, 30 million more people have healthcare now, or will have healthcare within two years, than would have otherwise. Unless you're Red Skull, last term WAS a success. Not the success it could have been or should have been, but certainly that less people will die now is a success.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    At the risk of turning this into a political debate, what rubbed me the wrong way with EVS's comments is the way that he framed the onus of cooperation and solving problems on Obama. From my point of view its been the GOP who's road blocked legislation, have openly stated they would never compromise and have made it their mission statement to stop Obama from being re-elected since the start of his first term. Shouldn't the onus be on them? I think that's one of the things that rubbed Liefeld the wrong way too. Not that his response was mature or helpful but its like... come on, its annoying to see someone take the "high road" when the whole time they were dragging their feet at "working together" and now they ask for that very thing. That's just my point of view of this whole thing.
    Precisely.

If anything, what I hope Obama has learned from his last term is to circumvent republican leadership. They've made it clear, time and time again, that the only objective is obstruction, that their only principle is one of rejection for marginal political gain and bluster. I couldn't have been happier to see the american people reject the party for the petty, destructive cancer that it is at this time.

That isn't to say all supporters are, or that every political figure is. I think Christie, while a bit deified at the moment...I respect that he doesn't let political gamesmanship get in the way of doing the job. Neither, I should note, does Obama.

And if I have one hope for the future, it is that Obama lets the house know that cooperation is encouraged and appreciated, but in no way required. He has the mandate of the people, and it's time for some big ideas and some big balls.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Gracious and tactful.

That said, 30 million more people have healthcare now, or will have healthcare within two years, than would have otherwise. Unless you're Red Skull, last term WAS a success. Not the success it could have been or should have been, but certainly that less people will die now is a success.
    Then 56% of Americans are "Red Skull." This isn't the forum for politics. Knock it off.
    dave_worrell and Enkido like this.

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Precisely.

If anything, what I hope Obama has learned from his last term is to circumvent republican leadership. They've made it clear, time and time again, that the only objective is obstruction, that their only principle is one of rejection for marginal political gain and bluster. I couldn't have been happier to see the american people reject the party for the petty, destructive cancer that it is at this time.

That isn't to say all supporters are, or that every political figure is. I think Christie, while a bit deified at the moment...I respect that he doesn't let political gamesmanship get in the way of doing the job. Neither, I should note, does Obama.

And if I have one hope for the future, it is that Obama lets the house know that cooperation is encouraged and appreciated, but in no way required. He has the mandate of the people, and it's time for some big ideas and some big balls.
    The problem is the House majority now though. This is the approach Obama should have taken when Democrats had the house obviously, but it's going to be more difficult now.

Bleeding Cool

I am the red skull!!

Zen Master of Cool

Then 56% of Americans are "Red Skull." This isn't the forum for politics. Knock it off.
    I don't think Desaad was calling anyone Red Skull. I don't understand why you are telling him to "knock it off." He was celebrating the accomplishment of bringing healthcare to millions of Americans. For ten years I was without healthcare coverage (even though I was working)-- I now have healthcare coverage through my employer but I am grateful that millions of other hard working Americans won't have to go through the stress that I did about getting sick or wanting to get preventative medicine but not having access to it. We'll see if this solution works but at least its an answer to a huge problem. A solution is better then nothing. And this is a politics discussion thread.
    Last edited by poneley; 11-07-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Dude you cant drop a line like that and then tell someone to "Knock it off".

And if we want to talk about politics, then by god this thread will be about politics! Obama Rules!

Wrote the Book on Cool

It's a thread about politics, Ethan. You're free not to respond if you don't want to engage, but surely you won't argue with my right to speak my mind? You of all people?

56% of americans are not "Red Skull". They have their reasons - and frankly for many of them it comes down to lack of education about what the bill means - but most of it is about weighing some vague financial doom that hovers over us all against the very real, present problem of having one of the least healthy populations in the developed world.

In time, I have every confidence that this country's population will come around, as they see what the bill means for them in their daily life, how important regular healthcare is and how effective it can be in preventing catastrophic illness. The National Health Service in the UK was passed with similarly low approval ratings, and it is now an unassailable right of life to british citizens, a matter of course.

I'm proud of it, and you should be too.

@Desaad
    -very well put. I'd give your post extra bonus likes if I could.
    Ingredients: Spite, Vitriol, Lycanthropy,Mt.dew, Soylent Green, Books,Knitting, Books, Books, Arsenic, Doom, Books, Lead, OMGKITTIES, Peer-Reviewed Journals, Natural Flavor, Artificial Coloring.

Warnings: Keep out of reach of Children.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Thanks, Rootfireember, and everyone else who has come to my defense. Much appreciated.

And hey, no president or political system is perfect, but I think I know the man of the job.

Vote PREZ, people! It'll be, like, totally groovy!

50 Reasons I Should Not Write Comics: These Are a Few of My Favorite Things: Voting!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast