Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Grant Morrison Turned Down "Before Invisibles"

Administrator

Default Grant Morrison Turned Down "Before Invisibles"

We've had DK2. We're getting Before Watchmen. We're looking forward to Sandman Zero. But what about... The Invisibles?

At the previously referred to Dundee Comics Day, Grant Morrison told the crowd how he'd already been asked. Laura Sneddon reports for The Beat;
    Asked whether Morrison was ever tempted to return to works like The Invisibles, close to many a readers heart, the writer revealed that such an offer had been tabled. ?Karen Berger asked me to do some more Invisibles for the anniversary of Vertigo next year, and I thought about it for five minutes and just didn?t want to do it. It was the same, when I tried to go back to Justice League and I did the Justice League Classified book which was like three years after I?d finished Justice League, I couldn?t connect with those characters at all and I had to fill the book with other characters to make it palatable to write. So I kind of, once the divorce has happened I don?t want to know!? A brief laugh before the added afterthought, ?Batman?s the only one I can go back to, because he?s so sexy.?

I think we can all agree, Batman is quite sexy.

It's both a shame and a wonderful thing to hear, though. Shame that we won't get more King Mob and Lord Fanny, wonderful because The Invisibles is a beautifully shaped, perfectly balanced story that would feel unbalanced with any additions.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Any of the Grant Morrison biographies serves as a pretty good King Mob: Year Zero, anyway.

Captain Cool

I mean we have seven volumes of Invisibles, so I guess I'm fine with that.

Mind-blowing book though. Just read it when you're high, my god.
    alekesam likes this.

If Morrison had a story to tell, I'd be fine with it; but it's just as well left alone. The books we already have work just fine as their own self contained, endlessly looping fictional universe.

VP in Charge of Cool

Coming soon... Before Invisibles - Lord Fanny by JMS.

Wouldn't Before Invisibles just be called Visibles?

Captain Cool

I know everyone likes to make BW spinoff jokes, but let's not kid ourselves, DC is not desperate for Before Invisibles.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Strong View Post
    I know everyone likes to make BW spinoff jokes.
    Indeed they do. Before Watchmen: Dollar Bill and Before Watchmen: Moloch spring to mind.

One more time the faithful follower of Saint Alan makes an awful pun with Before Watchmen. Karen Berger never proposed Before Invisibles, she just asked to Grant to write an Invisibles story. It could be before, during or after the series. But Mr. Johnston doesn't care about journalism. His only concern is his idol, Saint Alan.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    One more time the faithful follower of Saint Alan makes an awful pun with Before Watchmen. Karen Berger never proposed Before Invisibles, she just asked to Grant to write an Invisibles story. It could be before, during or after the series. But Mr. Johnston doesn't care about journalism. His only concern is his idol, Saint Alan.
    Nah. To be fair, his only concern is clicks.
    Mike H. likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast