Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Rot Liefeld - Jeff Lemire Takes A Stab In Animal Man

Dean of Cool University Acrid_Gunsmoke's Avatar

Childish? Why? Because Lemire is "rotworlding" characters that Liefeld used to write? I guess he's being disrespectful to Alan Moore and Grant Morrison as well.

There is fine line between cynicism and idiocy. Some folks need to find that line!

Banned

Naw, it's childish because he's doing this deliberately to take a stab at Liefeld, in the pages of a comic book. It's hackneyed, and it smacks of a person with a petty character
    Tom Strong, Cable235 and botc76 like this.

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Naw, it's childish because he's doing this deliberately to take a stab at Liefeld, in the pages of a comic book. It's hackneyed, and it smacks of a person with a petty character
    It's definitely a childish mentality. It's like being in middle school, where one kid has a tantrum, and then it becomes trendy and amusing to make fun of that person. Not to say I defend Liefeld, but you get my drift.
    Cable235 likes this.

Exceedingly Cool
    The deepest pits of Hel, somewhere in southern germany

Quote Originally Posted by Acrid_Gunsmoke View Post
    Childish? Why? Because Lemire is "rotworlding" characters that Liefeld used to write? I guess he's being disrespectful to Alan Moore and Grant Morrison as well.

There is fine line between cynicism and idiocy. Some folks need to find that line!
    Yeah, because he chose exactly those characters purely coincidental and not to make a statement. Perhaps you should heed your own advice.
    DarthEwok likes this.

But isn't this being "deliberate" a bit of a read on the part of the informed reader?

Yes, there is a not-zero-possibility that there is a bit of an in-joke here for those who knew about the Snyder/Liefeld spat. But it also has zero effect on the main DCU as this will all be (likely) erased at the end of this storyline, and again, it's a story about everyone save for a few people being turned into zombies. It isn't like he punked out these characters in some way that cripples them for future writers, nor does it make any judgment about the characters in their Liefeld incarnations. People are placing their own expectations on top of what is actually on the page.

Again, not been able to read the issue yet, but calling this
    saidestroyer and GLuke like this.

I understand but I think it' a stretch to say he's taking a stab at anyone. He used the characters, not like Liefeld was the only person in charge of those characters, even during the new 52.

I do find it funny that people will get on here and argue why it's childish. Like getting on a comic book message board to argue that something in a comic book is "childish" isn't being childish or petty, at all.
    GLuke likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool CBattles6's Avatar

I have to admit that I'm not reading Animal Man. But unless there's a reason that he's using those specific characters, as opposed to Booster Gold or Static Shock or whoever, then it's deliberate. And it's in poor taste.

Liefeld's methods are of course detrimental to his cause, but to a certain extent he was leveling legitimate criticisms at DC. Is this the way we fix problems, by shaming and taking pot-shots at people who disagree with the way things are being handled?

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidNixon View Post
    In that any of this actually matters, AM is a considered a "Dark" title. Deathstroke and Grifter are Edge titles, Hawkman is part of the Justice League book, and Hawk and Dove was considered Young Justice. So...no? The only book that AM has had any real tie to at all thus far is Swamp Thing.
    So they cant have crossovers? They share the same U.

I thought it was funny and it makes sense the rot would use deathstroke, Grifter rotting corpse.. Scott used TT corpse and i must say i loved it when Swamp Thing mushed superboy with his foot.!

MOLDY.

I find it a touch bemusing there's anyone on these boards that thinks Liefeld doesn't fully deserve this kind of scorn after the online meltdown he had, burning bridges left, right and centre.
    spacedog likes this.

Bleeding Cool

So Rich speculates that there is some underlying connection, and this is enough to cause people to climb all over themselves to be offended? Really? Did people forget what site they're on?

Even if it were an intentional jab, why should anyone care? It's not like these changes will stick past this one storyline, and it's hardly the first time a writer has used the work to take a jab at someone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast