Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: The Presidential Election, According To The Comics Industry

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hdefined View Post
    Likewise, when conservatives lose the election, it's clearly a failure in the democratic process, and the only logical response is revolution.
    In fairness to conservatives, a good chunk of liberals (Among whom I count myself) were absolutely livid with the 2000 results when we effectively had a split decision on popular versus electoral, likewise the voting problems in Florida.

In any tight election, the losing side will always point fingers. It's just a natural part of humanity.

That said, at least we had the decency to just threaten to go to Canada and take all of their socialized medicine rather than talking about violent overthrow.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    In fairness to conservatives, a good chunk of liberals (Among whom I count myself) were absolutely livid with the 2000 results when we effectively had a split decision on popular versus electoral, likewise the voting problems in Florida.

In any tight election, the losing side will always point fingers. It's just a natural part of humanity.

That said, at least we had the decency to just threaten to go to Canada and take all of their socialized medicine rather than talking about violent overthrow.
    Well, there was the genuinely confusing predicament of Florida at the time, but Gore had the balls to stand up and admit defeat before it was necessary to do so, and I think a lot of people accepted his desire to put an end to the nitpicking (as valid as it may have been).

Wrote the Book on Cool

I don't understand how any artist can be conservative. It's almost contrary to the very nature of the other. Art is about being open, giving, expressive. Conservatism is about....well conserving.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverseman.com View Post
    I don't understand how any artist can be conservative. It's almost contrary to the very nature of the other. Art is about being open, giving, expressive. Conservatism is about....well conserving.
    There's - arguably - art for art's sake, and there's art you sell to pay the mortgage.

And there's a significant overlap.

Cheers
    SAMURAI36 likes this.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

To point out for some others in the UK and elsewhere, it really is scary how emotionally different US conservatives are from, like, the rest of human society.
    It often seems weird to me that people can care about issues so much yet understand them in pragmatic terms so badly.

But then I get into a conversation with Bob about the LCS and marketing and digital...

Maybe we're all weird.

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Consultant of Cool

To point out for some others in the UK and elsewhere, it really is scary how emotionally different US conservatives are from, like, the rest of human society.

As many have pointed out in various media, when Obama did poorly in the first debate, liberals expressed . . . disappointment in Obama. But when Romney did poorly in the other two, conservatives pointed fingers of unfair questions and unfair moderators and everything not being fair.

Likewise, when conservatives lose the election, it's clearly a failure in the democratic process, and the only logical response is revolution.
    Two words and a date: Jesus Land 2004.
    How about the "We are sorry" internet campaign?
    There are still people to this day that Bush stole the election in both 2000 and 2004.
    There are sore losers on both sides of the isle.

By the way on the that second debate, the moderator backed Obama's erroneous claim about his speech in the Rose Garden the day after the Libya situation, saying she had the transcripts, all the news shows (including those on MSNBC) brought it up the next day, not just conservatives. The moderator had to backpedal and state she was wrong. Also, it was thought that Romney only did poorly on the last debate
    Last edited by Allen T; 11-07-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Cyclops Lives!
    The Red Hood Lives!

Dean of Cool University CammyKnoxville's Avatar

Lot of people complimented me on my Alex Ross Obama shirt yesterday. My uncle (hardcore extreme conservative) straight-up deleted his Facebook account last night, after spewing to family and friends for months that Obama was the Antichrist, and how Romney was going to save this country. He just couldn't deal with the reality I guess. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he slipped some cyanide underneath his tongue as well.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Allen T View Post
    Two words and a date: Jesus Land 2004.
    How about the "We are sorry" internet campaign?
    I honestly don't know about those. Enlighten me.

There are still people to this day that Bush stole the election in both 2000 and 2004.
    There was a genuine controversy over the 2000 Florida vote counts. That's a thing that happened.

But no one believes there was error in 2004. Everyone knows Kerry lost because he had as much inspiring charisma as a peanut.

There are sore losers on both sides of the isle.
    Except that one side of the isle [sic] doesn't demand we take up arms and storm Washington.

Bleeding Cool

Except that one side of the isle [sic] doesn't demand we take up arms and storm Washington.
    They actually do. You may not, and that's certainly a good thing, but the Right has nothing approaching a monopoly on violent outburst in response to political results they don't like. I would hope that the Violent Outburst people aren't representative if the Right, just like I doubt the Violent Outburst people are representative of the Left, but don't kid yourself that one side is any better than the other on this.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    They actually do. You may not, and that's certainly a good thing, but the Right has nothing approaching a monopoly on violent outburst in response to political results they don't like. I would hope that the Violent Outburst people aren't representative if the Right, just like I doubt the Violent Outburst people are representative of the Left, but don't kid yourself that one side is any better than the other on this.
    Totally disagree.

Unless you're referring to anonymous internet trolls who claim so and so should be killed for their treason, there are plenty of public, well-known officials and personalities on the right who frequently use violent rhetoric and calls for revolution. The only dude on the left I've heard anything remotely similar from is that nut Grayson from Florida.
    SAMURAI36 and Pop-Tart Samson like this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast