Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Kevin Smith Turned Down BEFORE WATCHMEN

Administrator

Default Kevin Smith Turned Down BEFORE WATCHMEN

When reporting early rumours about Before Watchmen, almost every name I was given turned out to be true - Darwyn Cooke, Brian Azzarello, JMS, Amanda Conner, JG Jones, Andy Kubert, Joe Kubert, Adam Hughes and John Higgins. There was another name that I dismissed as it was denied directly - that of Kevin Smith.

His name did keep popping up however. So I asked him if he'd ever actually been approached to write for Before Watchmen. He told me;
    "Talked to Jim [Lee] and Dan [DiDio] about it two years ago. Only passed because I'm not Alan Moore, sadly. If I was Alan Moore, I'd be all over it. As Kevin Smith, I'd likely just make Bubastis "big pussy" jokes and have Rorschach wet himself. Hurm."
    Shame, I think I would have enjoyed Veidt And Silent Bubastis. And as we now know, Len Wein is now writing that title...

Way Cool

Oh, thank goodness you turned it down. Can't stand your Batman comics, dude, and your new films are c-r-a-p.

Well if he agreed 2 years ago he MIGHT have finished the script on time.

WOW!!! Kevin Smith turned it down!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!! What a STUNNING story!

I'm glad he turned it down as well. Kevin Smith is great at being Kevin Smith and telling Kevin Smith-esque stories, but in the last few years it's becoming glaringly apparent that he has a very limited range. Don't get me wrong. If Kevin wanted to make a Clerks 3, I'd be the first person in line.

Why'd they even ask??? This is the guy who punked HIMSELF because he couldn't write as well as Bendis and HE'S gonna follow Alan Moore??? They would have had to pay half his salary in Depends 'cuz he'd be wetting himself every time he approached the keyboard.

Bleeding Cool

I love so much of Kevin Smith's work (mostly the non-WFH-comics stuff), but that they approached him for this makes me less happy with this existing.

VP in Charge of Cool Captain Comet's Avatar

Dodged a bullet here. Although I still wish they'd given The Rob a book.......

Wrote the Book on Cool

Smith, I love ya, but thank Crom you had the good sense to pass on this.

Having said that, feel free to serve up all the View Askewniverse prequels/sequel comics you like, please! Call up Mahfood and Wagner and make 'em happen!
    khuxford and ahlhelm like this.

Very Cool

Like a lot of Kev Smith's film work. However, that being said, WHEW!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast