Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Marvel Vs DC Omnibuses

Consultant of Cool

The Starman Omnibuses aren't quite as bad some of these, mostly because they were 16 or so issues of content for 50 dollars that Amazon or stores usually marked down to around 30. They weren't really cheap paper if memory serves.

That said, DC's recent run of 'Omnibuses' have left something to be desired. I haven't checked to see if the Teen Titans omnibus lays flat, but the first John's Flash omnibus was the same amount of content as the Starman ones but for 25 bucks more. The page content seems to be getting better as the Hawkman omnibus collects his entire run plus the JSA crossover issues.

That said, my Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus and Alan Moore/Alan Davis Captain Britain Omnibus' are wonderfully put together and some of the best I own.

Consultant of Cool

I own nearly all of the Marvel omnibi (several of which are out of print and gaining in value rather nicely), Masterwork and Essential edition, but I'm finding the best way to read vintage Marvels is from the DVD scans released several years ago, on an iPad. No gutter problems this way, also no need to hold up a 50 kilo book above your head.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Marvel did a Secret Wars II and Atlantis Attacks Omnibus. They automatically lose because of that.

Consultant of Cool

Yeah, some of the more recent X-Men Omnibuses from the 90's have been a tad questionable too.

Very Cool

I bought DC's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Omnibus, and yeah... it sucks. The size and picture quality are superb, but the binding is HORRIBLE. It's hard to read the chapters in the middle of the book and it almost kills O'Neill's double page spreads. Sometimes it feels like I'm about to rip the book in two just trying to get a look at something on the edge of the panel.

DC needs to up their game. Either use the same binding the Marvel omnibus had in this video, or make the pages one centimeter bigger so that we can at least look at the whole page, text and artwork, without problem. Yeah, you won't be able to see the spreads as a single picture, but YOU CAN'T REALLY SEE THEM TOGETHER WITH THIS BINDING ANYWAYS.

Ehem. Yeah, that's about that.
    Last edited by ramonoski; 01-28-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    I get the feeling DC is still a little baffled by the Omnibus format since it took them about a decade to embrace it in the first place.
    ...AIUI, there were some legal issues raised about royalties by Warner's ambulance chasers, and that's what delayed DC getting into the omnibus market. ISTR Rich making some mention about it in one of his ancient LITG columns, possibly when he was being hosted by Silver Bullet Comics, but it was a while of a while back.
    -------

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by erikhol View Post
    I was thinking of getting the All Star Superman Omnibus, but now I'm glad I got it in TPB. (Though I have to confess I never had any problems with, for example, New Frontier. Though that was released a long time ago.)

Not saying All Star Superman Omnibus is deficient either. But if I'm spending near to $100 for these oversized volumes - I expect them to be pretty darn near perfect. No excuse for DC in this one. If it costs more to have proper binding - then it's worth it.
    All Star Superman was never released as an Omnibus. You're confusing the DC Omnibus line with the DC Absolute line. All of DC's Absolute Editions have sewn binding, so they don't have the problems that the DC Omnibus books do. The New Frontier book you have is probably the Absolute Edition as well. The All Star Superman Absolute edition is basically the same quality as that.

Exceedingly Cool

The Absolute lines are good for the most part, but they can also suffer from bad quality sometimes. Whoever prints them doesn't do a very good job in the quality control department. I've had some marred with fingerprints (then covered by lamination, making it permanent), creased pages, and glued pages. The Deluxe Editions have had similar problems. My 100 Bullets HC had jagged cut pages pasted on top of one another. It was quite bizarre. Then there's the omnibuses. I've seen glued binding before but for some reason DCs seems to be worse.

I'm glad BC is covering this. There has been quite a bit of discussion in the respective threads in the CBR forum and with omnibuses growing in popularity, it really is unacceptable.

Wrote the Book on Cool I_Captain Blanco's Avatar

When I first read this headline, I thought Rich was talking about this. I wonder what kind of binding it will have (if it ever comes out)?

Quote Originally Posted by I_Captain Blanco View Post
    When I first read this headline, I thought Rich was talking about this. I wonder what kind of binding it will have (if it ever comes out)?
    I'm worried about the Invisibles Omnibus. That book is going to be a monster.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast