Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Huntress Writer Takes Action Against Alleged Domestic Abuse By Sheriff

Administrator

Default Huntress Writer Takes Action Against Alleged Domestic Abuse By Sheriff

Ivory Madison is a singer, writing network creator, comic fan and writer of DC's Huntress: Year One series from 2008.

And also, it seems, principle in bringing down San Francisco?s new sheriff, Ross Mirkarimi.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Mirkarimi is facing police investigation for "domestic violence for an alleged incident involving his wife, Eliana Lopez, in their home on New Year?s Eve" although the allegation is also denied by Lopez.

The New York Times reports that Madison contacted the police after she claims a bruised Lopez asked her for help on the night of the alleged assault - she also took photographs. During Mirkami's swearing in process, he referred to it as "a private matter. A family matter." Madison had previously been a political supporter of Mirkami.

If charged and convicted, Mirkami would automatically lose his position, but even the allegations could cause serious concerns over his ability to carry out his job.

Banned

Ivory Madison's Huntress series was awesome. It's a shame Helena Bertinelli has been dumped in favour of her Earth-2 counterpart.

You have no idea how upset I am over that.

Of course it seems silly when facing real world problems like this crap and muddled problem.

Not surprising though that Ivy goes from writing about crime fighters and heroes to acting as one. I thought I remember reading she was a bit of an activist or something.

VP in Charge of Cool Enigma_2099's Avatar

During Mirkami’s swearing in process, he referred to it as “a private matter. A family matter.”

... Yeah, that excuse ALWAYS works...

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Ivory Madison is a singer, writing network creator, comic fan and writer of DC's Huntress: Year One series from 2008.

And also, it seems, principle in bringing down San Francisco?s new sheriff, Ross Mirkarimi.

According to the San Franciscan Chronicle, Mirkarimi is facing police investigation for "domestic violence for an alleged incident involving his wife, Eliana Lopez, in their home on New Year?s Eve" although the allegation is also denied by Lopez.

The New York Times reports that Madison contacted the police after she claims a bruised Lopez asked her for help on the night of the alleged assault - she also took photographs. During Mirkami's swearing in process, he referred to it as "a private matter. A family matter." Madison had previously been a political supporter of Mirkami.

If charged and convicted, Mirkami would automatically lose his position, but even the allegations could cause serious concerns over his ability to carry out his job.
    That's a big 'if'. Who knows what happened? Isn't it for the court to decide? However appalling your alleged crimes might be, aren't you supposed to be tried by a jury of your peers, as opposed to random voices on the internet?

I don't see how this sort of low rent, tabloid muck-raking is at all defensible. If the sheriff is guilty, fine, have at him, but until then, what's to be gained from speculation on matters you can't know much about, unless the police or the coroner have been silly enough to talk to you 'in confidence'. Given that this almost certainly hasn't happened, it's rather a poor show, Rich.
    Last edited by Ian Coke; 01-14-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    That's a big 'if'. Who knows what happened? Isn't it for the court to decide? However appalling your alleged crimes might be, aren't you supposed to be tried by a jury of your peers, as opposed to random voices on the internet?

I don't see how this sort of low rent, tabloid muck-raking is at all defensible. If the sheriff is guilty, fine, have at him, but until then, what's to be gained from speculation on matters you can't know much about, unless the police or the coroner have been silly enough to talk to you 'in confidence'. Given that this almost certainly hasn't happened, it's rather a poor show, Rich.
    I'd love to see her turn out to be wrong after being all indignant. I mean, she probably isn't, but it would be great if A) the woman actually never got beat, and B) Madison fell flat on her self-righteous face.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post

Um, what? An extremely brief story pulled from the San Francisco Chronicle and the New York Times is "low rent, tabloid muck-raking"?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I'd love to see her turn out to be wrong after being all indignant. I mean, she probably isn't, but it would be great if A) the woman actually never got beat, and B) Madison fell flat on her self-righteous face.
    Huh? How the (*&^ is she 'being all indignant' when there's not a single comment or quote from her in that?

Or does she just look so self-righteous that no words are necessary?

Maybe we should just burn her for witchcraft instead...

Ian - it's a quote on facts, involving a comics writer. Absent of malice and with zero editorialising.

I think you may be reading more into it than is present.

Updated: from the NYT piece:

Ms. Madison, who is well-known in Bay Area literary circles for her Red Room site and is also the author of the “feminist-mafia-noir” graphic novel “Huntress: Year One,” declined to be interviewed.

But she said in an e-mail statement that she wished the attention was not focused on her. “I would have greatly preferred to keep my name completely out of this, since from my perspective, who I am is irrelevant to this situation,” she wrote. “I’m hoping that if I ignore all press inquiries, my involvement will become less prominent in the news coverage.”

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter J Poole; 01-14-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

If all she did was call the cops, then that's great, but if she's getting the press involved in matters that don't concern her and which the alleged victim doesn't seem interested in pursuing, then that's a step too far for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    If all she did was call the cops, then that's great, but if she's getting the press involved in matters that don't concern her and which the alleged victim doesn't seem interested in pursuing, then that's a step too far for my liking.
    Which she pretty clearly isn't...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast