Page 16 of 92 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Like Tree911Likes

Thread: How Liberalism May Be Hurting Comic Book Sales by Darin Wagner

Exceedingly Cool

A fine article, but it fails to mention the main reason liberalism is killing comic sales: no one can afford them under the Obama Administration!

Thank you, thank you! Good night!

Quote Originally Posted by papabear View Post
    So what would a conservative comic book hero look like? What would be his powers? What would he fight against? I have a hard time picturing this being an entertaining read. I guess that labels me a liberal.
    Umm...it'd be Rorschach, wouldn't it? Or possibly the Comedian, or Mr A, or The Punisher.

Not that any of these are the kind of bloke you'd want round your house for a cuppa, but it's probably unfair to say there would be no chance of getting an entertaining comic out of it.

VP in Charge of Cool

To the author of the article: You're insane.

The Comic Book stories taken as a whole from DC and Marvel, Dark Horse, Image and IDW, are diverse in their point of views. Yes, you can find liberal view points, but you can find conservative ones too. Check out Chuck Dixon's GI JOE Oeuvre, or Bill Willingham's Fables or Mike Mignola's Hellboy/BPRD or anything by Frank Miller.

What I see in your article is a complaint that Conservatism doesn't totally and completely dominate all media, all the time and everywhere. The mere presence of a liberal point of view is so offensive to you that 1. you won't even examine the point of view and 2. you make sweeping judgements about the rest of the comics on the rack.

Also, If you believe that more conservative points of view would save the comics market, that makes you doubly insane. The medium itself is dying. Nothing can save it.

I bet the whole gay Archie character, Kevin Keller, provoked this time wasting essay of yours but you didn't even have the guts to say it. (for the record I'm in favor of more gay characters in comics and all media, in order to promote gay rights)

Honestly, I love comics not because they are "mainstream" but because they are one of the last few forms of art that can get away with interesting, intelligent stories (often in the disguise of super heroes beating each other up). If the writer/artist happen to lean one way or the other politically, that's fine with me. I wouldn't worry about alienating half of the audience or any of that shit. And I really don't think sales are hurting because there aren't an abundance of conservative stories out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyeraustin View Post
    Hi, let me introduce myself- read the Koran, been to 4 Muslim countries, formerly married to a Muslim woman. Children's religion is established by the father. That is incontrovertible the way that Muslims believe. That is why Muslim women cannot stay married to a non-Muslim man.
    Sorry to butt in here, but for most children born into a family of anyfaith, is the nominal religion of the child not usually determined by the parents? Seems a bit unfair to single out Islam as if it's somehow unusual. You'd probably find a lot of Christian/Catholic families in nations all over the world who had an issue with their daughter marrying outside of their faith, too.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTom View Post
    If it's not appropriate for the character, then it's just poor writing to use that character to reflect your views.
    I totally agree. I don't mind if a character is liberal or conservative as long as they are consistent. Which, given how old some properties are and how many creative teams someone like Batman has gone through, I can see being difficult to keep straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Van Sciver View Post
    A fine article, but it fails to mention the main reason liberalism is killing comic sales: no one can afford them under the Obama Administration!

Thank you, thank you! Good night!
    I keep forgetting that you come from Earth C, where the collapse of the economy DIDN'T happen under the Bush administration and that job creation HASN'T gone up during the Obama administration. Say hi to the Batman of Earth C for us. We hear times are tough for him because Wayne Enterprises didn't get a bailout.

Zen Master of Cool

I remember Darin from the days on Peter David's AOL board! I even think we may have met once at a book fair in NYC (unless I'm confusing him with someone else from that board). Alas, I cannot recall what his AOL handle was

As to the topic he writes about here... to me, good stories are good stories, regardless of political viewpoint. If a story is inartful and clumsily bludgeons you with its viewpoint, it's a bad story. So I'm really not that concerned about the liberal vs. conservative side of things.
    CKdoubleU and Joe_Reader like this.

Cool

My issue is that the author seems to be coming from the position of a conservative that is comics reader rather than a comics reader that is conservative. Since conservatism colors his world view, he seems to follow the old adage "when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail." I agree that his evidence is weak and it seems like to agree with him you already have to be aligned to his worldview.

The logic almost reads like this to me:
    The X-Men fight a villain named the Blob. The Blob is obese. Michelle Obama leads a campaign against obesity. Michelle Obama is a liberal. Therefore, X-Men fighting the Blob is liberal bias — and for this reason I will no longer read X-Men comics because I am a conservative and dislike liberal bias.

What I don't get from the article is what had previously attracted the author to reading comics and what he would like to see in current comics.

As an aside, when the controversy about Actions Comics #900 started up, I recalled how when I was watching the old Fleischer/Famous Superman cartoons from the '40s, the opening originally said "Truth and Justice" and episodes had more of a crime and sci-fi theme, but as the USA engaged in WWII, the episodes turned to Superman being involved in the war effort and the opening now said "Truth Justice and the American Way." Funny how times can change both the art and perception of the art.

VP in Charge of Cool Enigma_2099's Avatar

Politics in comics is just annoying as hell because
    1) it's usually one-sided
    2) it rarely adds to the story in a positive way

But the real thing hurting comic book sales? They're either not worth buying, or they're TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE.
    Meyeraustin and ArjaytheGuy like this.

Page 16 of 92 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast