Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Whatever Happened To... The 1998 Death Of Superman?

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    It amuses me, the lengths some fans will go to in order to explain away their heroes getting all icky with a girl.
    It's nothing to do with the beast with two backs, take Hawkman and Hawkgirl,... been a fabulous twosome from the 40's - it's about internal story consistency, making rules and sticking to them.

Here it's largely where Superman gets his powers from. ( and having a get out )
    As far as Lois & Clark go, there are 50 years worth of precrisis canon in which the dynamic was explored. If you want a potted version check out Superman II which explores this accurately, ie sure they love each other, but that isn't enough.
    Last edited by rudecherub; 12-16-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: edit fix for my stupid

Wow. That is rather the crazy crap I could see Morrison digging up. Kina like Zur En Ahh Batman. Though now with the reboot and Morrison starting over with Action Comics no 1 I don't see it happenng.

And whether or not it is what happened.. or a tounge in cheek semi humourous homage to Walt Simonson's crazy Sand Superman... well.. aint that the fun of comics.. especially at the majn two where it has become a business of publiahing fan fiction to sustain the character in print?

I never heard of this crazy Sand Superman before.
    Though it makes that `lectric Superman story somehow less dumb.

Wrote the Book on Cool jackolantern's Avatar

Sounds like the Android McCoy theory. Remember the Star Trek TOS episode "Shore Leave"? Where the Enterprise crew discovers a planet where anything you imagine (including things and people that you're phobic about, as well as things and people that you fantasize about) instantly appears, like a planet-wide holodeck that can read your mind? Well, McCoy gets a lance through the chest from a jousting knight, and a few minutes later reappears and says that the mysterious machines fixed him up. The theory is that he's just another simulacrum, created because the rest of the crew couldn't accept his death.
    _OM_, Gilgamesh and Rootfireember like this.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    And whether or not it is what happened.. or a tounge in cheek semi humourous homage to Walt Simonson's crazy Sand Superman... well.. aint that the fun of comics.. especially at the majn two where it has become a business of publiahing fan fiction to sustain the character in print?
    This is the way I feel about it, and I have always had a great deal of fun thinking about what is happening between the lines and where the stories might go. The thing that still gets me is that QVC special with Walt pointing out the aura that appeared as Superman grabbed John Henry's arm in the Man of Steel issue. Why would Walt make a big deal out of it as a hint to something important coming up? I mean, it was his wife Louise that was the editor; and she wasn't saying anything while Walt pointed this out. I really wish I had that QVC thing on tape, but who thinks to actually record something off QVC and keep it for 17 years? Without that QVC bit, I would probably believe I just Slott-ed this whole sand creature thing (Slott-ed : To take existing, seemingly unrelated plot points and connect them into a great story that no one intended to create...like Dan Slott would do in She-Hulk).

With further regard to the sand creature theory, there were other "clues" I didn't mention because they seemed more of a stretch. The best of those omissions is probably the "power surge" story that happened just after long haired Superman returned to action. Superman suddenly began gaining more power than he could handle...at the same time clones all over Metropolis were weakening from some strange sickness. The missing link would be the newly cloned Superboy; the sand creature tapping into him and by extension others who shared a genetic connection (i.e. any and all clones from Cadmus). That clue has aspects where it's a bit thin, though; it's why I didn't include it. Still, that was the beauty of this entire idea. After the big reveal of the sand creature, fans would have been pouring through back issues hunting for clues; it would have brought those old stories back to life and created a huge discussion.

Anyway, I loved the 90's era of DC for things like this; there was always so much potential just under the surface. Certainly there were stories that didn't sit well (such as Hal becoming Parallax), but then there were ideas just on the side that made you wonder if there was going to be some big pay off (such as the sudden appearance of the green tinged demon Neron who made you wonder just a little bit if the Guardians had dealt with a Parallax situation before back when magic was still in the equation). Then there was the lead up and hints to the post Zero Hour R.J. Brande being revealed as the Martian Manhunter, and that one actually did have some truth to it according to the final item in Comic Book Legends Revealed #187.
    Last edited by DBHughes; 12-16-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolantern View Post
    Sounds like the Android McCoy theory. Remember the Star Trek TOS episode "Shore Leave"? Where the Enterprise crew discovers a planet where anything you imagine (including things and people that you're phobic about, as well as things and people that you fantasize about) instantly appears, like a planet-wide holodeck that can read your mind? Well, McCoy gets a lance through the chest from a jousting knight, and a few minutes later reappears and says that the mysterious machines fixed him up. The theory is that he's just another simulacrum, created because the rest of the crew couldn't accept his death.
    ...You're not the only one who's postited this theory over the years. When McCoy was resurrected as an EMH in the Shatnerverse novels, quite a few old Trek fans/critics noted that if McCoy had been replaced by a "Plantdroid" from the Shore Leave planet, it would be a lot easier to transfer a cybernetic soul over to an EMH.
    -------

There was at least one Superman Annual in 1989, Action Comics Annual 3, so I've already found 1 inaccuracy in this article.

I think the rest of the article just seems like a huge house of cards built up on *ahem* sand.
    Gilgamesh likes this.
    Writer of the webcomic Arc. Editor of Metahuman Press and Pulp Empire.
    Editor, Super Powered Fiction. Want to write about comics? Find out how here! / Twitter / Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelLee View Post
    this is one of many reasons why Flashpoint and the relaunchboot was a good idea ..

there's so many continuity problems it's better to just start over ..
    It's only a problem if you let it be.

And if you let it be, why?

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ahlhelm View Post
    There was at least one Superman Annual in 1989, Action Comics Annual 3, so I've already found 1 inaccuracy in this article.
    Maybe I misspoke, but I did say "shy away"; I didn't say "abolished" or "released no", etc. Also, the subject matter was Adventures of Superman Annuals which did have a gap between 1987 and 1990; why would that happen? However, it is worth mentioning that I got ahead of myself on Armageddon 2001; the 1990 Adventures of Superman Annual was actually a crossover event with the L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 Annual.

Bottom line is that I'm not trying to convince anyone. This is what I've seen and what my opinion is; if people choose to, they can dig into it and see what they find. Everyone has to form their own opinion. Personally, I was most interested in seeing what Walt or someone else had to say about this; I've just never seen the subject brought up outside of conversations between myself and my brother.
    Last edited by DBHughes; 12-16-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    Rootfireember likes this.

Way Cool

Superman had at least 1 annual each year from 1987 to 1999... Shy away??!?

Exceedingly Cool

All three Superman titles has annuals in 1987.

Superman Annual #2 was in 1988.
    Action Comics Annual #2 was in 1989. (The big jam issue leading into Action's return to a monthly Superman series.)
    Adventures of Superman Annual #2 was in 1990, and crossed over with LEGION.

I would imagine that Action didn't have an annual in 1988 due to the book's format change to weekly.

There were ads for the Walt Simonson story to be Superman Annual #3 in 1990. There was also word of a Chris Claremont/Michael Golden story that was supposed to be an annual (Possibly the AoS Annual in 1989?).

I don't think DC was trying to shy away from Superman annuals. I think the stories weren't ready when the annuals were supposed to go.

And the Simonson story references events from Superman #43, which came out in 1990. I figure it's supposed to take place just prior to the Red Kryptonite story that ended in Superman #50 (cover dated Dec. 1990).

And....if the story was originally conceived in 1988...why would it be designed as a potential out for the Lois/Clark relationship, which really didn't get going until 1989, culminating with the engagement in 1990?

Regarding the "transfer" between Superman and Steel....should I mention the running subplot that people thought that Steel was the "walk-in spirit" of Superman?
    Gilgamesh likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast