Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoiling The Ending To Detective Comics #1

Blog Editing Robot BC Blog Editor's Avatar

Default Spoiling The Ending To Detective Comics #1

So I've had a few chats with a few people discussing why they weren't planning to buy Detective Comics #1 today. And I understand them, they talk about past disappointment with Tony Daniel on Batman books, how they are looking for something new, and it's just not their thing. I mention the channelling of a number of past Batman master in the book, it doesn't seem to make a convincing case to pick it up.

In a last desperate attempt, I send them the final page from issue 1.

They tell me they are now picking up the book just to see how it gets to this situation.

So, here we go. I am going to post the final page from Detective Comics #1. If you have any intention of buying the book, do not look at this spoiler. Because it is a big, big spoiler, and you'll get so much more from reading it in context.

But if you are still, honestly not going to pick it up, and you are a Batman fan, this cliffhanger may be the thing that tips you over the edge into buying it.

I will run a few images of pets dressed as Batman, while you consider if you want to spoil the best cliffhanger at DC Comics today. Then I'll run the final image of Detective Comics #1 by Tony Daniel. But spoiler or no spoiler, you're buying the book, if only to confound your expectations.

Okay, that's as much spoiler warning as you're getting. No joke.

Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London. Check out their New 52 podcast here.

cool! nice to see the creepy factor intact!

Way Cool

Tony Daniel, i owe you an apology...

i'm NEVER buying this book now. pulling off this shock value kind of shit on a T-rated title is just in bad taste. this scene would be pushing the line in a Garth Ennis VERTIGO title (even there you really wouldn't have THAT much detailing). if DC wants to do a Vertigo Mature Readers Batman book they should do one under that banner, with the appropriate rating and marketing for it. can u imagine actual underage readers getting their hands on this? we're going to keep the CBLDF in business for years

p.s. for people loving this, wait until next issue when Batman cuts the Joker's penis off and stuffs it in his mouth. on-panel. awesomeness

I can't comment on the book. But as far as images go its pretty amazing, beautiful even...now I may pick up the book.

-aris

Quote Originally Posted by Manolis View Post
    i'm NEVER buying this book now. pulling off this shock value kind of shit on a T-rated title is just in bad taste. this scene would be pushing the line in a Garth Ennis VERTIGO title (even there you really wouldn't have THAT much detailing). if DC wants to do a Vertigo Mature Readers Batman book they should do one under that banner, with the appropriate rating and marketing for it. can u imagine actual underage readers getting their hands on this? we're going to keep the CBLDF in business for years
    I am not really think its a shock. Its a really nice image standing on its own. I am curious as to why this happened. To be honest if its just to change the jokers face..that would be lame..he doesn't need a rebirth.

Wrote the Book on Cool

"Dollmaker" is the name of the villain, people.

He's made a cast of Joker's face for a doll.

Guaranteed.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I'm pleasantly surprised by `Tec. I hated the preview as some of the dialogue was bloody awful ("I own the night", etc) and some of the storytelling panel to panel is a bit off but there's something about it that I really liked. It's odd reading it since, even though I haven't read DC in years, I know Batman from when I did read DC and here he is, talking about the Joker and effectively meeting him for the first time. It feels, dare I say it, fresh and interesting like anything can happen.

The art's better than I thought it would be (referencing as many previous Bat artists as it can, it seems), it packs a lot in and it seems like a long read (for comparison, I've just torn through Justice League in less time) and that last page? I honestly didn't see that coming, though I thought they were going to off the Joker once and for all.
    Last edited by Chris Metcalfe; 09-07-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast