Thread: Hergé's Adventures Of His Chinese Communist Gay Lover?

Administrator

Default Hergé's Adventures Of His Chinese Communist Gay Lover?

A graphic novel telling the story of Georges Prosper Remi, better known as Tintin creator, Hergé, and his homosexual affair with a young man, Tchang, the model for characters in his books, and an alleged communist Chinese spy, is having trouble finding a publisher.

I wonder why. In France or Belgium this may be considered something akin to a treasonable act, regarding such a cultural figure - probably more for the Communist spy bit than for the homosexuality, but it probably doesn't help. And in a year when Hollywood is launching a major movie based on the character, this work by graphic novelist Lawrence Colonnier may come at the worst time fior an industry that still venerates Hergé.

Still, I await a translation into English...

Wrote the Book on Cool mantichore's Avatar

I don't expect much of a scandal. Hergé's attitude during the War is probably much more controversial. This is a bit puzzling, though, because I can't remember any of Hergé's biographers ever raising this possibility, so it comes a bit out of left field and seems circumstantial at best. But why not?

We'll see what the reactions are.

Yes, all the things I've read/seen about Herge said that the two were "friends", but there was no allusion to anything more - is this a case of trying to see something that wasn't there?

Wrote the Book on Cool mantichore's Avatar

Oh, and I doubt Tchang's Communism — though by all reports, he wasn't an enthusiastic Maoist, more like an ordinary citizen who had not much of a choice about the politics of his country — is going to raise many eyebrows, either in Belgium or in France. Tchang was widely fêted there when he was finally able to travel out of China.

The only side I can see raising a fuss would be Moulinsart Editions, which've been notoriously er... protective about Tintin and its marketing value.
    Last edited by mantichore; 05-20-2011 at 12:53 AM.

I think this looks interesting.

Wrote the Book on Cool

if this wasnt about Herge we wouldnt be talking about it now. I thought Herge was a nazi

Dean of Cool University JensAltmann's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZilla View Post
    if this wasnt about Herge we wouldnt be talking about it now. I thought Herge was a nazi
    A collaborator, but by most accounts that I've read not out of political conviction, but rather because it was the only way he could continue to work.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I heard that Lawrence Colonnier is a gay communist spy.