Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Sienkiewicz And Frank Miller's Wonder Woman: Bondage

Blog Editing Robot BC Blog Editor's Avatar

Default Bill Sienkiewicz And Frank Miller's Wonder Woman: Bondage

DC Comics never saw this image. Neither Bill Sienkiewicz nor Frank Miller intended it to go public. But when it was sold, despite assurances that it wouldn't go online, somewghere alon the line, it got sold to someone who didn't know about that requirement. And it was recently spotted by DC Women Kicking Ass, though the above visual is a higher res version.

But what was Wonder Woman: Bondage?

Bill Sienkiewicz agreed to provide a little context now it was out in the open. He told me
    Frank and I were jazzed about working together again. We were up for doing another series and churning the waters on on some old DCcharacter, as he'd done with Dark Knight.

Wonder Woman seemed like a pretty good choice. She been simultaneously revered and handled poorly in some incarnations. To me she's always been a '"symbol" more than a character that has been well-utilized in a story context. The mostinteresting stuff was the earliest - and felt the ripest for revisiting.

The fact that her creator William Marston also created the precursor to the lie detector and was into bondage lent a weird kinky vibe and made the idea of mucking with her and her origin a potentially fun trip.

The image was done by me to visually test the water, so to speak and my own comfort level, if not everyone else's, about how far it could be pushed. I did some others that were far more extreme, no one has seen those, this one was relatively tame by comparison. Still it was perhaps a bit over the top, but I think Frank and I invited that. So was the idea for the series in very basic broad stroke discussions betweenFrank andI , with some input from then-DC editorBob Schreck. The piece was never intended to be seen by anyone else, but of course , someone bought the original , and despite assurances fromeveryone who had seen the piece that they would not pass it along (I should have known better, it was too provocative NOT to make the rounds)... ah well, so it goes.

But as for actually doing the series - who knows?

I think... we probably do know, Bill.

...Heh, this reminds me of a news story ISTR Rich may have even forwarded to rac* when it happened. Some years ago, the cops were called to a house where the neighbors had been hearing cries for help for over two days. When they broke in, they found the couple living there in the bedroom, where the woman had been dressed up as Wonder Woman, and tied up pretty securely with a "golden lasso" to the bed, spread eagle. The man, however, was lying unconscious at the foot of the bed, dressed in a Batman suit, with a bloody gash across his forehead. As it turned out, what had happened was that Batman had climbed up on top of a chest of drawers to make a flying leap and insertion into Wonder Woman, and failed to take into account the position of a ceiling fan with relation to his trajectory. Despite being in a coma for another week, Batman eventually recovered, but it's doubtful that he ever tried that stunt again. At least not in a room with a ceiling fan!
    -------

Dean of Cool University rambobloodaxe's Avatar

Is this idea not similar Morrison's plans for Wonder Woman that never materialised?
    It's amazing that brain can generate enough power to keep those legs moving

Huh. Wow. That's... just bizarre. Well it's pretty damn obvious why DC never went forward with this. As grim and gritty as the market became trying superficially to duplicate media darlings like Dark Knight and Watchmen, there was no way this wasn't going to backlash in DC's face.

Of course, i find the idea very interesting. Wonder Woman and her creator have quite a strange strange history with bondage and bondage art. Well, technically one of Superman's creators quietly worked in the sub-genre / field too. Though it never really showed up with that character's books, unlike Diana. Wonder Woman's old books are just rife with bizarre imagery and overtones. This is something DC has distanced itself from in the many years since. Of course the interesting paradox is that not only did Marsten use bondage themes, he also was very pro women's liberation and the superiority of the female gender. Plus we have interesting notes like he and his wife shared a mistress and the man studied sororities with his Harvard degree. Hell, how has someone not made a movie about this man's life yet?

Personally, I just don't think the image is very good. I love Sienkiewicz's art and dear heavens he can draw some sexy women and images. I'll even say some bondage art can be quite sexy and beautiful. Though I don't really care for it nor dislike it one way or the other. Heck, Wonder Woman in bondage by Sienkiewicz sounds like it should be a sexy image. Yet this is just.. weird. Of course that might be just what they were going for. Just a disturbing image.

Though the comment makes it seem like a comedy image.. yet it's just kinda too weird for even that. And I like dark comedy. Hell, I freaking read Adam Warrens Empowered which is a comedy series based on a bondage fetish character a fan commissioned him to make. Of course that book isn't Wonder Woman. So to take an icon that people have such preconceptions of, not to mention one that Warners sells to little girls like she was Hannah Montanna, and make a dark disturbing book with images of bondage in it? Yeah. They're not gonna go ahead with that. Not that his Wonder Woman in All Star Batman or even Strikes Again wasn't weird enough. Of course they also didn't go ahead with Batman tracking down Osama Bin Laden by Frank.

Also, this whole issue makes me think of that long rumored Grant Morrison Wonder Woman. With all the bizarre old silver age things Morrison is throwing into his Batman books, I can't even begin to fathom what he'd dig out of the past for Wonder Woman. No wonder that book is very much in the back burner, or rather tied up in chains in some back room somewhere never to be seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by rambobloodaxe View Post
    Is this idea not similar Morrison's plans for Wonder Woman that never materialised?
    Did Morrison and company ever actually get into details? I was just speculating based on what he's done on his crazy Batman run (which I enjoy even if it is so odd).

Banned

Let's all hear cheer for the good old days when DC knew better than to release tripe featuring their Big Guns.

Now we can go back to mourning the present.

Zen Master of Cool

This BS/FM image would have fit right in during the early days of WW .. bondage in every issue almost ..

found this online from Sensation Comics #4

Banned

Wonder Woman in bondage from Frank Miller? No, it can't be. Impossible.

Is there a gay, effeminate villain too who's spectacularly murdered by the hero of the story?

Frank Miller is just too masculine and man-like for everyone.

Zen Master of Cool ElectricPeterTork's Avatar

All bondage and fetish tsktsktsk-ing aside, I'd actually like to see Frank and Bill collaborate on another project.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast