Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Senior VP Tom Brevoort Gives DC Comics Some Tough Love

Default Marvel Senior VP Tom Brevoort Gives DC Comics Some Tough Love

Always-outspoken Marvel Senior VP of Publishing Tom Brevoort has been on quite a twitter tirade this week. Just a couple days ago he laid into an unnamed competitor over a subpar book, now he's calling DC out publicly over promotional material for War of the Green Lanterns.

As reported by Robot6 on Wednesday, Brevoort told his twitter followers, that a recent book from a competitor was so bad he used it as an example of what not to do in a Marvel meeting:
    There?s more craft evidenced on the plastic bag of FF #587 than on the whole of the issue we read yesterday. One of our editors read it and was appalled by it, so I thought it was worth further study by the group. Sometimes, a bad example teaches more by example. An absolute lack of understanding of character, theme, scene, pacing, lousy tinny dialogue, incompetent artwork?it was just a red hot mess
    Many commenters took Brevoort to task for not naming names over that one, and he is more specific in tonight's tweets about DC. Apparently Marvel staff are in the process of sending a book to press, and flipping through Diamond Comics Distributor's Previews Catalog while they wait for the material to upload. About DC's War of the Green Lanterns listing in Previews, Brevoort says:
    Official snark-warning! I'm about to say something ridiculous and relatively mean-sounding about the competition, so step away if you like.

But judging from the latest Previews catalog, the first casualties in the War of the Green Lanterns are the inkers and the colorists.

I'm sorry, @GeoffJohns0 --you know I love you, but that is not the way to put your best foot forward on a big storyline. Pencils look nice.

@justinwasson www.dccomics.com I would think. They just basically hastily colored the pencils for the catalog--didn't look good.

@BaronVonZorcula I've got a nice, thick skin. Kinda have to. And really, it's because I want to see DC do well too. I love those characters

You know what? Fair and balanced--the cover to BATMAN: EUROPA #4 is really strong. Great design by Jock.
    DC Comics COO Geoff Johns is no shrinking violet on twitter himself, so it'll be interesting to see if he responds publicly.

[caption id="attachment_59671" align="aligncenter" width="570" caption="Photographed by Luigi Novi"][/caption]

I used to really like Brevoort, but the last few years he seems to have become fully devoured by the Marvel machine.

VP in Charge of Cool hellblazer72's Avatar

Didn't marvel put out a bunch of director cut type books with no inking or coloring before? Or is that different because they already put out the inked and colored versions first.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Having been the victim of a Brevoort bashing I can say with confidence that Geoff and the rest of the folks at DC aren't losing any sleep over his comments. Having said this, I will await my next Brevoort bashing soon enough.

VP in Charge of Cool hellblazer72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoshAdams View Post
    Having been the victim of a Brevoort bashing I can say with confidence that Geoff and the rest of the folks at DC aren't losing any sleep over his comments. Having said this, I will await my next Brevoort bashing soon enough.
    You seem quite certain you'll get another bashing.

Exceedingly Cool

What's that hanging off his neck?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hellblazer72 View Post
    You seem quite certain you'll get another bashing.
    Well, having been completely blindsided by the last one, I just await the bashing even if it would make no sense. I equate a Brevoorgeddon to sort of norm. He's a very outspoken individual and I would sooner be concerned over his silence than anything.

Wrote the Book on Cool

And Marvel wonders why their sales are falling so much.

With so much wrong at Marvel, his time would be much better spent in looking at all of the mediocre to subpar to crappy titles in their own house before going after DC's books.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I'm just wondering why DC don't leave the cover art unfinished in previews (as pencilled work) rather than doing a rush job on "inking" and "colouring" them.
    Van Scivers covers hav been made to look quite bad in Previews in the past (due to them not having received the full inking and colouring treatment before being published in a dummy version for Previews).

I'm not defending Brevoort or anything; just pointing out that Green Lantern (and the Sinestro Corps War specials) covers have often looked quite sub-par in previews dues to them using very poorly coloured and inked placeholder versions. Sure the listing states that the image isn't the final cover; but personally I'd much rather an unfinished (but fully penciled) layout than an ugly looking rush job.

I didn't see the image he was specifically calling out but wonder if he is actually correct in his statements?
    The Comics Ticker- my new comics blog

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/mattspatola/venger-web-sig22222.jpg

Follow me on: Twitter l Facebook l Email me l The Venger Blog

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast