Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comics International Closes Shop

Administrator

Default Comics International Closes Shop

<p>Founded in 1990 by Dez Skinn, and originally distributedthrough comic shops for free, Comics International was the UK equivalent of Wizard though it bore a greater resemblance to Comics Buyers Guide. A shop-focussed magazine covering the comics industry, I had my first published work there, initially as a reviewer, then contributor to their Movers &amp; Shakers column,and finally theyreprinted extracts from my Lying In The Gutters column every month.</p>
    <p>The magazine was incredibly popular in the UK, often outselling the top comics it covered. And it was read by the entire industry, and most committed comics fans. But as of 2006, Dez Sknn practically retired and the magazine was sold to Cosmic Publications, headed up by Pete Boyce and employing CI contrbutor Mike Conroy as editor.</p>
    <p>However a dramatic reduction in schedule and repeated lateness saw the magazine print stories, even run advertisements hat were months out of date. A series of Comics International themed specials were published, that didn't need to rely as much on topicality, but there has been no sign of a new issue for a year.</p>
    <p>And finally DTT report that Cosmic Publications has officially closed shop. There are noresponses to emails sent via the company website and direct emails bounce. As it stands, unless there is another buyer, and frankly who would want that taint of Comics International right now, the magazineseems to have finally come toan end for now.</p>
    <p>It is likely that CLiNT Magazine from Mark Millar and Titan Magazines will cover some of the topics that used to be CI's domain, but it seems to be a different beast, more akin to Speakeasy, Deadline or Blast!</p>
    <p>It's a sad end to what used to be a UK comics behemoth.</p>

Consultant of Cool

Sadly a whimper rather than a bang. It was a great magazine that's time has been superseded by the internet. Having spent a few years as an associate editor on the title (and editing you, Rich!) I'll miss it. Future's Comic Heroes looks like it could replace it, and there's always Tripwire! Otherwise it's all online and you don't have to wait a whole month to see your insane and ill-thought out rantings in print on the letters page. Sadly the "instant feedback" aspect is one of the less attractive elements of the internet. "Think before you type" seems to have been a long forgotten maxim.

very sad , it was always special to see my work mentioned or reviewed in the magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    It's a sad end to what used to be a UK comics behemoth.
    QFT, dammit, QFT.

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    QFT, dammit, QFT.
    Quantum Field Theory? I've never been any good at these acronyms.

Haven't read it for an age but back in the day that I used to have a comic shop, this was a great mag. Sad stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Quantum Field Theory? I've never been any good at these acronyms.
    "Quoted for truth."

気持ち悪い

Wrote the Book on Cool Union Jim's Avatar

I haven't seen an issue anywhere since #200. Bought it religiously for years and always tried to get Wizard buyers to give it a go to see what "real" comics magazine looked like. And it introduced me to one of my favourite comics, Rex Mundi, by printing the Brother Matthew web comic in it's pages.

RIP CI!

Ah, that is a shame. I gave it up shortly after Dez left because of the sudden historical bent of the mag – ancient ‘news’ and an apparent obsession with Gerry Anderson.

I can’t seen Comic Heroes filling the gap, unless it moves up from quarterly publictation and stops charging Ģ15 or whatever for a pile of ‘free’ tat.

VP in Charge of Cool

I think I last purchased an issue about 4 years ago, which is about the last time I went in a comic shop. I remember back in the day, that is how I would find out what was coming out.

Yes, a real shame. Under Dez it was the best resource for news, commentary and reviews that you didn't have to read on a screen. I even wrote some of those reviews for about two years before it went missing in action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast