Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree715Likes

Thread: Good things thread

Default Good things thread

In order to combat the idea that we on the BC forums are merely a bunch of meanies who eat babies every day and kick puppies or something, I've decided to start a good things thread. Feel free to post here about good things you have done, books you've read that have made you smile, or anything within legal reason that gives you the warm fuzzies.

Given to charity? Helped an old lady across the street? Read something that made you smile? Seen something that strikes you as amazingly positive?

Put it all here.

I've donated to charities, used to do a lot of around the house help for aging relatives now passed, am knitting a scarf for a friend, and am having fun re-reading James and the giant peach on my kindle for my own amusement.
    Fysh and spacedog like this.
    Ingredients: Spite, Vitriol, Lycanthropy,Mt.dew, Soylent Green, Books,Knitting, Books, Books, Arsenic, Doom, Books, Lead, OMGKITTIES, Peer-Reviewed Journals, Natural Flavor, Artificial Coloring.

Warnings: Keep out of reach of Children.

Bleeding Cool

I volunteer regularly at animal and humane shelters. It's equal parts painful-and-rewarding.

I'm reading a new book called Signs of Struggle. It's a murder mystery in the mountains.

Just found a new show called HELL ON WHEELS that airs on AMC. It's about the building of the first transcontinental railroad in America, right after the Civil War ended. Follows an ex-soldier named Cullen Bohannon and a recently freed slave name Elam Ferguson (played by Anson Mount and Common, respectively). Colm Meany (Chief O'Brien from STAR TREK TNG/DS9) plays Thomas "Doc" Durant, the millionaire funding the building of the railroad. Man, it's obvious Trek was holding him back. He's Emmy-worthy in this. But, I have a man-crush on Anson Mount. That guy makes me swoon. Seriously...and I say this with no doubts....he could easily be the person to replace Hugh Jackman as Wolverine when the time comes. He has it. That pent-up rage, that look of a savage beast. He's the one.

Season One is streaming on Netflix, and Season Two just finished airing.

It's one of the very best shows I have ever watched. Easily up there with some of my other favorites like HBO's ROME, FX's SONS OF ANARCHY (which I quit after Season Three) and Ron Moore's SciFi Channel epic, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

I'm taking the wife to get our Christmas tree and decorate it this weekend. Always a good time that ends with laughter and alcohol. And then more alcohol.

I made this video recently. It's a DOCTOR WHO video tribute to the actors that have played Companions on the show during my lifetime, starting now and going back to my first episode in the late 70's.

And I loooooove this video....

ShQQta likes this.
    Traveling.

Bleeding Cool

Also, the Mods only banned me from the Frontpage Forum. They could have removed all access, but didn't. That's a good thing for me.
    StarCruncher likes this.
    Traveling.

@poptart- if you liked He'll on Wheels, you might also like HBO's deadwood. I watched season 1 of hell on wheels but it never quite clicked with me- deadwood spoiled me for westerns.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.
    Ingredients: Spite, Vitriol, Lycanthropy,Mt.dew, Soylent Green, Books,Knitting, Books, Books, Arsenic, Doom, Books, Lead, OMGKITTIES, Peer-Reviewed Journals, Natural Flavor, Artificial Coloring.

Bleeding Cool

See, whereas I'm the opposite. I tried but could never get into DEADWOOD for some reason. And I love Ian McShane from Lovejoy.

I don't know. It's been a while. I might go back and give Deadwood another shot...
    Traveling.

Deadwood got to me because I'd been there, and The area today looks fairly like the sets, although touristed up a bit. And with more bars in more places, as far as I recall. Still Verymuch more fun for adults than the kiddies.

As far as historical based things, I liked The John Adams serries: but kept on waiting for them to break into song ala 1776 musical.I also liked Rome and used it in an argument in a college class once.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rootfireember View Post
    As far as historical based things, I liked The John Adams serries: but kept on waiting for them to break into song ala 1776 musical.
    Ha! Haven't seen it yet. Is that the one with Paul Giamatti?

I also liked Rome and used it in an argument in a college class once.

Thirteenth!!
    Traveling.

Yes it's the one with Giomatti. Watching it and the 1776 musical in close succession leads to mental dissonance, and the inclination to call Jefferson "Pimperson". And of course you can prepend it with Last of the Mohicans.

Bleeding Cool

Traveling.

Bleeding Cool

Traveling.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast