In their profile of David Lynch and his transcendental meditation practises, the New York Times have revealed that the director is working on a new script. They say it’s for something we will “recognize” as being in his style.
The reporter about the project from Bob Roth, the head of The David Lynch Foundation For Consciousness-Based Education and World Peace, and then asked Lynch himself about it. He seemed pretty annoyed that word was out:
“Bobby’s got a big mouth,” he said. I asked him if the script was influenced by his work with T.M., and he said no, absolutely not. This will be a David Lynch picture, he said, adding, “I think people would probably recognize it.”
I suppose the David Lynch Bingo card would feature -
- People out of time and space
- People with multiple identities… or identities with multiple people
- The fashions and music of the mid-20th century
- Sudden and unexpected kinds of violence
- A battle between ancient forces and mere mortals
- A confusion between the real and the imaginary
- The sights and sounds of heavy industry
And I’m sure you could add some more of your own. You might be wise to put Laura Dern on the list. She said in January that she was expecting to work with Lynch on a new project; what we’ve learned today, I think, is how Lynch-y it’s going to be.