There are honestly loads of films I’m very keen to see, and they’re definitely going out on a high point with a closing night film that could sell out in minutes…
The opening night picture is Populaire, a fizzy French romcom in the Rock Hudson and Doris Day mould; better still, the closing night choice is Joss Whedon’s Much Ado About Nothing. What a coup.
Here’s a list of other high points:
- Aliens in 70mm – plus the new Aliens videogame, Colonial Marines, on the big screen.
- Cloud Atlas
- John Dies at the End
- Neil Jordan’s new vampire picture Byzantium
- Steve Coogan in The Look of Love, the Paul Raymond biopic
- Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan’s Hope
- A fiftieth anniversary year celebration of Doctor Who with members of the cast and Tom McRae
- Dredd plus a discussion with John Wagner
- Judge Minty plus a session called Making A Fan Film
- Truly epic dance movie Girl Walk//All Day – for free
- Chan Wook Park’s Stoker
- Derek Cianfrance’s The Place Beyond the Pines with The Gosling and Bradley Cooper
- Nicolas Lopez’ and producer Eli Roth’s Aftershock
- Steve Niles in town to screen and discuss 30 Days of Night and his other work
But that’s not the half of it. You can browse the full program on the official site.
Tickets are on sale today. I should imagine some of these films will sell out pretty darn quickly.
Here’s the trailer for the fest, sadly bereft of movie clips.