Only in our dreams could Frank Darabont write and direct every last episode of the Walking Dead TV series. Such are the demands of producing serial TV in the US that no show can really be the work of one writer-director. So who are his deputies?
Here’s the talent roster, which is just as Darabont supplied it to Herc at Aint It Cool, which means “Me” reads “Frank Darabont”:
2) Michelle MacLaren (Breaking Bad, X-Files)
3) Gwyneth Horder-Payton (The Shield, BSG)
4) Johan Renck (Breaking Bad)
5) Ernest Dickerson (The Wire, Dexter)
6) Guy Ferland (The Shield, Sons of Anarchy)
The writers for the first six are:
3) Me, Chic Eglee, Jack LoGuidice. (Chic: The Shield, Dexter. Jack: Sons of Anarchy)
4) Robert Kirkman (wrote some comics I think)
5) Glen Mazzara (The Shield, Hawthorne)
6) Adam Fierro (The Shield, Dexter, 24)
Here are additional notes on some of the talent, just to remind you of some of their other credits:
- Renck has directed a series of interesting music videos and the feature film Downloading Nancy.
- Ernest Dickerson was a cinemtatographer on several Spike Lee pictures who later directed a few feature films, some of them in the horror genre, and a lot of TV, including several episodes in multiple seasons of The Wire; for his sins.
- Guy Ferland’s best-known movie was Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights.
Note that Robert Kirkman, the creator of the original Walking Dead comics, has scripted the fourth episode. That’s going to generate a great deal of discussion, I bet.